The exam day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
auricula

The exam day

Post by auricula »

Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice if anyone can give it. Will we be sent information about the actual day itself, such as what your child is allowed to take in to the exam room etc?

We have no idea at all if they can even take a ruler, bottle of water etc. :?

Many thanks again for any answers (don't know where else on earth I could find out the answers to the bizarre questions that keep popping in to my head!)

A
mike1880

Re: The exam day

Post by mike1880 »

We should be getting a letter in the next week or so with details. You can send in a drink and snack for the interval, you''ll also need pencils (at least 24, obviously :wink: ) and as far as I remember I think I probably sent in pencil sharpener and rubber last time but I wouldn't swear to it. No need for a ruler I don't think.

Mike
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

i have also included a see through pencil case and a silent stop watch.
um

Post by um »

A clear pencil case is ideal but I am not sure they would allow the child to bring in a stop watch, or even a ruler! My son took his watch which he set out on the table next to him. It was useful in the 'old' Bishop Vesey exam when there was time to spare - but not at all useful for KE , when there is no time to spare anyway and you just go through it fast and steady.
Until this year, there were 2 separate exams of course. For the Bishop Vesey exam last year, children were told via letter to bring a pencil. I bought loads of really expensive ones as my son writes really hard and breaks them easily. I didn't want to waste his time with him sharpening them - so didnt include a sharpener. The examiner (who clearly had no spare pencils) saw them and decided to distribute them all to the many children who had turned up to the exam without any pencil - we only got one given back, and in fact the one he was left with broke, leaving him to soldier on through the latter part of the exam with a bent nib.
At the King Edward Grammar exam, we had been advised that he needed a snack but nothing else, he did again take in loads of pencils but the examiner gave every pupil one of theirs and he just used that. I made sure he had a few large erasers for each exam too - although there was some confusion about whether he should rub out or cross out wrong answers. In fact, he crossed out (being much quicker than rubbing) and a poster here was saying they should have rubbed, prompting a call to the Foundation office who assured me that crossing was fine too! I would advise my child to listen very carefully to the instructions, and ask if they are unsure about anything.
I think I went slightly mad on snacks at the time - I remember buying all sorts of ridiculously priced 'vitamin water' bottlesd and Innocent smoothies from tesco and fancy snacks to take in - must have worked as he's at Camp Hill now :D
auricula

Post by auricula »

Thanks for the reply guys, pencil and rubber sounds good to me.

Also, thanks about snack - must remember to send in some fish for brain food! :lol:

A
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

good idea, fish and chips for breakfast.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Suprised (ish) we havent had the details yet. Are the education people off on a weeks jolly like the schools ?

(followed of course by a days teacher training , bless the teachers cotton socks). :evil:
auricula

Post by auricula »

We haven't had anything yet either :(

Think the postman thinks he has an admirer as I fling open the door most days as he approaches! :oops:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

As far as I remember the acknowledgement said the letter will be sent "during half term". So we should get it anytime between now and about next Tuesday :wink: .

Chill...

Mike
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi, I just had this very panic attack yesterday!! Has anyone received any letters from bham city council confirming online choices ?? I checked my online application to make sure I had submitted it!!

Just another question on a different subject, would dividing and multiplying decimals be included in the exam.....anyone?? DD is not familiar with it but we stumbled upon it in some maths books :?: :?:

FTM