MGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
monstermum

MGS

Post by monstermum »

We loved this school and couldn't find anything negative. What did anyone else think??
maidmum5

Re: MGS

Post by maidmum5 »

Hi

We also viewed this school and also Oakwood for our DS. We liked them both but thought Oakwood had a slightly more relaxed feel about it. MGS seemed huge, it took us two hours to go around on the open evening but DS seemed to like it even though he started getting tired at the end, we are torn between the two but as Oakwood is at the end of our road we hope that DS will go for this one and hope we get allocated this one as its so close to us. Other than that we liked them both but feel that Oakwood would suit our DS better.
WendyWoo

Post by WendyWoo »

I too looked at MGS and thought it was lovely. Little bit traditional but I quite like that. DS liked both Oakwood and MGS, but overall preferred MGS.

Unfortunately he didn't get the 390 marks (got 378) but we've been told by primary HT that its not normally a problem for boys where we live.

MGS first, Oakwood second and Valley Park if all else fails (DD goes there after failing two years ago.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Thanks for sharing your points of view. I spoke to the deputy head who told me that for boys gaining 390 or over in the selected parishes they went out 14 miles last year and for 360 and over 4.9 miles so hopefully that will be o.k for you Wendywoo. I agree about the traditional feel - it's exactly how I would imagine a boy's grammar to be. Can see my DS there amd looking smart in his uniform!! We've put MGS then Oakwood and then 2 others - which was rather odd!!
kaloosam

Post by kaloosam »

I loved MGS too. My DS preferred Skinners but I think with his score being 401 that will be too low. I will be more than happy if he ends up at MGS and we are in one of the named parishes so we should be ok. It is a large school which may be daunting at first though I don't see this being a huge problem. My only question mark is with the headmaster being relatively new - I believe he is just starting his second year there now. If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate it.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Deleted.
Bat120

Post by Bat120 »

My DS now in year 8 at MGS. Came from a tiny primary school (11 in his year group) and we wondered if he would struggle in such a big school knowing nobody, but he settled in really quickly. As their form tutor groups are also their Houses who they remain with all through their time at MGS, they seem to bond early on as a tutor group competing against other Houses. He has also got to know people in other forms through travelling on the train to school, being in sports teams and via "friends of friends".

He has never mentioned feeling overwhelmed by the size of the school.

Good luck!