Kent Appeal No - HT Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
croydon_dad

Kent Appeal No - HT Review

Post by croydon_dad »

My DS got his kent 11+ results and has not passed. It took us another few days to get the results through our primary school
which were VR:136, NVR:116, MT:129 total:(381)

We have been told that we can still add the Grammar schools to the form but would need to appeal in March.

Our head teacher told us that he was not able to do a HT review as our primary school is not in Kent, however the school would fully back the appeal
with support that our DS is of grammer grade baes on his record in primary. Our HT believes with support from the school they should easily see he of
GS grade assesment.

My questions are

1. Are HT Reviews only availble to Kent schools?

2. We live in Croydon but were looking at GS in West Kent - which from reading other posts seem to be oversubscribed.
If we appeal against non-qualification are we also appealling against over subscription as surely all the places would have been handed out by March?
Do these appeals happen at the same time?

3. We are in the process of moving to West Kent and as such dont really want to place any Croydon schools on our form. However we must apply through the Croyon LA.
My question is that it seems unlikey we would get a place at the likes of Judd, Skinners but is there a way to appeal for a Grammer school assesment so we can apply for
other grammar schools in kent?

4. Is there a place to see what level of scores most of the GS generally accept.
tiredmum

Re: Kent Appeal No - HT Review

Post by tiredmum »

croydon_dad wrote:My DS got his kent 11+ results and has not passed. It took us another few days to get the results through our primary school
which were VR:136, NVR:116, MT:129 total:(381)

We have been told that we can still add the Grammar schools to the form but would need to appeal in March.

Our head teacher told us that he was not able to do a HT review as our primary school is not in Kent, .

Well done to your dc on those scores. You stand a good chance on appeal.

I dont understand why a HT appeal was not submitted. My dd went to a medway school and the head there regularly did HT appeals for those that failed the kent test if he felt they should have passed and they scored over 360.
I dont know if its diffferent where you are from.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

croydon_dad wrote:4. Is there a place to see what level of scores most of the GS generally accept.
In West Kent (assuming you mean the Sevenoaks/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells area) Skinners' and Judd (for boys) and TOGS (for girls) take highest scorers. Cut-off scores range from 404/5 to 414/415 depending on school and the year.

The grammar schools in the area will take on catchment/distance from the school so take anyone who passes if they are within distance (e.g Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys). As far as I know there is no official site which states cut off scores but the individual schools will provide information regarding scores and also distance from the school for those that select on distance.
croydon_dad

Post by croydon_dad »

Thanks for the info:
We intend to be living in the area hopefully by June next year, so that should handle the distance issues, however I guess I will proabaly have my appeal before then..!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now