Minimum standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Girlsmum

Minimum standardised scores

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Does anyone know what sort of figures these have been in previous years for Barnet selectives and Latymer? I know that it varies annually, but not by much. I worry that dd will struggle with her English comp and writing (if non-fiction) and having a baseline would help.
NorthLondonMum

Re: Minimum standardised scores

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I don't think standardised scores will help you, because they are standardised to the cohort (in the case of Latymer anyway). Those that got in to Latymer will not know their scores, neither will those that were put on the waiting list (the next 50). As I say, because they are standardised they won't really tell you anything about where your child would be positioned.

When you take your child for the NVR at Latymer the headmaster does a useful talk while the children are taking the test, he will probably tell you how far they went on their waiting list last year, and maybe what "ranking" they went to, bearing in mind some children will have succeeded in gaining a place at a higher preference school. With the change from VR to the new literacy paper it will all be different this year anyway. Very roughly, 500 or so are put through to the second round and you need to be ranked in the top half of that group overall to get a place.

Perhaps if you find out anything interesting next week you can share it with the forum.

Good luck.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I guess the problem is that scores aren't readily available in our area because of the system used. In other areas like Kent, Bucks and Medway it seems that people are given their actual and standardised scores, which helps work out if the mark was high or low (eg 84% in Maths and 89% in NVR = 120.

Her test is on Wednesday so I'll post if there is any interesting info. at the talk. DD is scoring 48/50 in Maths (NFER not the Latymer ones), 57 or 58/60 NVR, full marks in grammar but the English writing and comprehension is very variable. I know that it's new at Latymer and imagine some of the candidates will also be in the same position. If only she was level 5 basson!
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

The minimum score on NVR to get through to the second round of Latymer last year was 107. But, as the headmaster pointed out, this is based on a cohort with a higher average than that of the general population.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Well, it is 70+/80 this year, so does that mean 107 is 70/80? Hmmm...
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

If their aim is to put 500 through to the second round then the threshold is whatever score achieves that. It will depend on the test and the cohort. The more children that sit the first round the higher the standardised score will have to be. If they said 70+ then I believe that is a guide based on experience, but the actual score required for any child will depend on their age.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks, I know the scores are standardised. DD is March born so in the middle.

I'm just trying to work out an average in English minimum score based on feedback from previous years, as I think that she is borderline on the minimum if it's the top 25%. Trying to improve her comprehension is the problem as she struggles....and it's vital for all learning. We only realised how her writing was behind when we started the Bond tests in February. Her grammar is excellent and picked up her overall English marks so the school didn't tell us that her writing (now improved) and comprehension were so bad. We have worked hard with her and she has gone from 4B in English (May) to 5C (Oct) at school, but her grammar is and was 5A, it's the rest that has been neglected for years:(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now