Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mixed emotions

Appeals

Post by mixed emotions »

Hi all I am very new to this forum and am not the best with computers so you may have to make allowances if this is in the wrong place! I have twins, one of them passed the 11 plus the other has just missed with scores of: NVR 135, VR 128 and maths 111. There was a head teachers appeal however this was unsucessful as the evidence put forward showed an inconsistency in her problem solving ability. We have now been strongly recommended by the head teacher to put forward a parent appeal. The basis of this being that as the aggregate score was well above required it shows my DDs ability, that in the next few months the school works with my DD to show her ability in maths and provide evidence for the appeal and finally that her twin being of roughly the same ability has passed and the negative effects that it would have on both of them to be split. I would welcome any advice from etienne with her experience and any other parents that have been in the same predicament as at the moment I feel that I am being pulled in two directions wanting to celebrate whilst feeling so down :(
mitasol

Re: Appeals

Post by mitasol »

Hi mixed emotions,

Welcome!

For general information on appeals you can start by having a look through http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you click on this link you'll find a search in appeals for twins - which may be of help. Twin appeal search

I think it is very positive that the school is being so supportive.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So sorry to hear of your predicament, 'mixed emotions'.

You need to start by doing a lot of reading, as suggested above.

I think the sympathy of most panels would be with you regarding the oversubscription part of any appeal, but as you recognise, you'll need strong proof of ability in maths for the non-qualification part. Ideally I would hope to see not just curriculum evidence, but a really high score in something like quantitative reasoning (does the school do CATs?).

Come back to us if you've any specific questions, and Mitasol and I will do our best to help.
Etienne
mixed emotions

Post by mixed emotions »

The school does do sats testing and has said that they will help by making DD do problem solving excercises and provide as much evidence as possible the head teacher has said that she is 110% behind us as she strongly believes that the local grammar is the best school for DD. With the twin thing I do recognise that it would hold more weighting regarding over subscription.
Ther results have gone against what was expected as the twin that didnt get through was the one that everyone assumed would, this is why it is harder to accept. My only worry is that the head teacher appeal didnt work so would this make our case weaker? will the original headteacher appeals assessment be taken into consideration or will it be treated as a brand new case on the day?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The school does do sats testing
But the point I was raising was about CATs. It's the range of evidence that usually helps to build a strong case:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My only worry is that the head teacher appeal didnt work so would this make our case weaker?
It all depends whether the admission authority wish to try and argue that the local review was "fair, consistent and objective".
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mixed emotions

Post by mixed emotions »

I am in the Gravesend area and have been told by a few people including the headteacher that the initia headteacherl reviews do not affect parent appeals, so I am hoping that this advice is correct.
With regard to the cats testing our school does not participate in these tests but the school have said that they will provide my daughter with lots of problem solving tests and group experiments to add to the evidence as well as the school books. My biggest worry is that we prove through all the evidence that DD has always had the capability and that the test result was a blip and we still do not win the appeal :(
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

You have been told correctly the HT assessment does not affect your parental appeal in any way.

If your looking at the girls GS in Gravesend then i know last year they did not fill on March 1st and actually know 2 girls who got in on appeal - however i don't know anything about their scores/circumstances - sorry :(
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

There will be lots that depends on the school / pressure on places etc. BUT, don't think that the maths is too low to get a place on appeal, others have managed it. You need the right evidence and ensure your appeal is tailored specifically to the school you have in mind (not relying too heavily on the potential 'twin' link). Somewhere there has been mention that there is a link between the NVR and Maths levels, which you would expect to be of similar scores but can't remember where I saw it.... Sorry :?

I got my DS a place at a GS with 2 failed papers, something many would think (and said) almost impossible but it was the evidence and circumstances surrounding this which won us the appeal. Some might say there was a place available so the panel elected to fill it but they concluded in their summing up that the school would be prejudiced by admitting DS although they felt our case was strong enough to over rule that aspect. We were denied a place at our first choice but DS was adament he wanted to go to the school he is now at, so we made a late application and the rest as they say is history.

Good luck!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
mixed emotions

Post by mixed emotions »

Thanks for that post T12ACY, I havnt been on the forum for a while as been getting used to what happened . We are trying to accept that dd will not go to grammar now and then if we win the appeal it will be a bonus. Its such an unfortunate position to be in as dd was always expected to go, she just didnt perform on the day. The school are working hard with us to gather evidence and we are working with dd at home so that we can ensure that she does not get demotivated and let her work slip. It would be interesting to know what sort of evidence you put forward for your child just so that I know that we are on the right track, also how you tackled the appeal panel as the thought of this is giving me sleepless nights :cry:

Any information would be of value :?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

have you looked at the sticky FEEDBACK at the top of the appeals section? I expect T12ACY will have posted her appeal info there and if you look on her profile you can click on the option to view her posts - she had a long very informative one running about her appeals - i know it will help you to read it i will try and post the link :)