How to choose .....still havent been able to complete CAF!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CatSmile

How to choose .....still havent been able to complete CAF!

Post by CatSmile »

You would have thought that having done this all before two years ago with DS it would be a straight forward thing to go through again with DD. Not so! :shock:

After putting me through months of agonies over her ability to pass the 11+ I was very relieved (and quite gobsmacked actually!) when she not only passed both Bexley and Kent Tests, but passed with exceptional scores. Ok, I thought, thats wonderful, the next step should be much easier than last time (DS passed, but not top 180 and we live in the north of the borough!). But how wrong I was. :roll:
We went to see all the Grammars and DD refused to say what she thought till we'd seen the very last on 22 October (by then I'd resigned myself to meeting the later CAF deadline). As of today the shortlist comprises of Bexley Grammar, Townley and Dartford. We have listed all the pros and cons of each school and 'scored' them, but it's still more or less a dead heat and DD won't make a decision and I don't want to impose one as I feel she need to go somewhere she wants to be.
Purely on the basis of first impressions and atmosphere DD favours Dartford above the rest, but this is the furthest distance for her to travel and I don't know if even with an exceptionally high test score she would have definite chance of getting a place if we put it first. If we failed would then also have lost our chance as a top 180 scorer of getting into the 2nd or 3rd choice bexley grammars as these would have been filled by people who put them top of their list? So is a risk worth taking purely on the feel' of Dartford??? :? :?
My gut instinct is to go for Bexley Grammar because I found the school very positive and their academic programme seems really broad (I'm very much in favour of the IB). But then it's probably the kind of school that would have appealed to me at my DD's age and that isn't relevant here. DD is not so keen - in fact of the three she puts BG last.
So that leaves Townley. After mixed feedback on this school I am pleased to say I found the school, our guides, the pupils and the headmaster really very inpressive. I know some havent warmed to the new head but he struck a chord with me and the girls at the school seem to like him and what he's done so far. DD is a bit luke warm on this one though - she said she 'wasn't terribly impressed, but it was ok'.
So there we go - DD wants Dartford, but I'm not sure if its a risky choice. I would love to see her at BG, but DD is not at all keen. So that leaves Townley. But I just can't get DD to agree that I complete the CAF. Should I just go ahead and fill in T, BG,D or even T, D ,BG? :?
I can't think of any way to settle this until I know whether it is wise as North of borough bexley candidate to put Dartford Girls at top spot. Anyone got any ideas :idea: ??
I know many people would envy the position we are in and the choices we have, but it's still difficult to do the right thing. My sister is a very intelligent person, but she hated grammar school and ended up truanting and messing up her education. It was simply the wrong place for her (she sorted herself out later :) !). I want DD to do well but to be happy too.

Sorry for going on and on - just needed to let it all out :oops:
sherry_d

Re: How to choose .....still havent been able to complete CA

Post by sherry_d »

CatSmile wrote:If we failed would then also have lost our chance as a top 180 scorer of getting into the 2nd or 3rd choice bexley grammars as these would have been filled by people who put them top of their list?
You get equal preferances on your choices unless Bexley is different. That means putting Dartford on first choice will not disadvantage you as you will just get equal preferance for your 2nd choice. Its better to put the schools in the order you really want them.

For examble if you dont get school choice 1 and you are 100yards away from school 2 which takes on distance you'll get a higher priority over someone who put it first and lives 200 yards away.
With equal preference, the admission authority does not know what priority the parent has given
to a particular school, and priority is not a criterion in allocation. Equal preference improves a
parents chance of gaining a preferred school, but not necessarily their first preference
Impossible is Nothing.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Was her score high enough for Dartford? This school is very good but pushy with the academic side. It will not cost you a top 180 place in Bexley if you place this school first.

BGS - excellent - more encouraging than pushy.

Do you want single sex or mixed?
CatSmile

Post by CatSmile »

Hi Sherry, Hi Tracy

Thanks for the replies. On distance we are very borderline for BGS, but witha top 180 score this became less important. For Dartford DD got full marks for her Kent Test, I havent seen the actual papers so I don't know if the standardised score reflects the actual score or if its relevant. But I think I saw some where she would need over 402 to get into Dartford. Obviously we are a huge distance away over here in Belvedere, but were hoping the score would mean that became less important too.

I don't mind if DD goes to girls or mixed school so long as she is happy. My DS is at Beths and is doing really well and seems very happy. I went to a mixed secodary and had no problems. I liked BG a lot and I know lots of people who have/had children there and have nothing but praise for the place. That said my DS really wanted to go Beths so by the time we saw BG he wasn't prepared to change his mind or give it chance. DD saw BG first but simply didn't warm to it - she thought it was 'very serious' - not sure what she meant by that as everyone was very friendly!

Anyway - so in theory, if we put Dartford first and don't get a place we still have an equal chance to get a place at either BG or Townley? This may help a lot in sorting things out. Many Thanks!
:)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

CatSmile, what a lovely position to be in.

I think it will all depend on how much your dd wants to learn and how she wants to learn. The more studious types would be better off at Dartford or Townley. With BGS, the work still gets done but it seems to be a more fun way of learning, and yes they get homework but they have a life too!
Also, how would the travelling be? If you can work out decent routes and your dd has a good attitude to work, then, from what you have said, I would be put:
DGGS - if she has a top score she will be 99% certain of getting a place,
then BGS - your top 180 score will guarantee her this but would be rejected cos she would have got DGGS
then Townley - irrelevant due to BGS, but I'd put it anyway just in case there's gremlins in the system!

If you reversed DGGS with BGS you would get BGS.

This is going to be biased cos I have a dd at BGS and I would rate that school 1st out of these 3. With DGGS I really can't see what all the fuss is about. Very over-rated in my opinion. There seems to be a view that if you get a 420 score then you simply must go for DGGS. I wouldn't.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I'm interested to hear why people rate DGS so high. Some of our friends living well within the catchment area seem to go for Wilmington instead.

Schools are all to often compared in terms of 5A-C GCSE results, however it may be worthwhile to make a spreadsheet comparing A-A* results. We have done this recently for 2 schools we were looking at and despite the fact that both were considered pretty much the same in terms of 5 GCSE'S A/C results but when compared A/A* basis the results the results seem very different.

Things are not always what it says on the tin.

Goodluck with your choices.
bexley mum

Post by bexley mum »

I have two daugthers at DGGS - one in year 7 one in year 9.

I do have to disagree with the pushy post. DGGS is a lovely school. My daughter in year 9 - passed without flying colours and she is doing so well. They are not as pushy as 'hearsay' and people should stop gossiping about what its like.

Yes they do have homework but totally doable and within a young childs range.

I think you should go with your gut feeling and your daughters feelings - you can appeal up - but it would be dfficult to appeal down. All schools you mention are excellent so I am sure you will get the final results you need.

Good luck.
x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now