adhd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firebrand1

adhd

Post by firebrand1 »

Do any of you parents of bright sparks have experience or knowledge of adhd. DS is bright and popular (OK we could be misguided) but on the down side is unruly in class (keeps shouting out answers and fidgets) and can be mean to siblings (who admittedly can be mean back and they're generally good mates). He's been seeing an educational counsellor of some description at school and at the end of last year (Y4) we thought he'd pretty much cracked it. But at parent's evening, his new teacher (who seems highly competent) says while she's really warmed to DS she's spent the first 6 weeks trying to get to grips with how she integrates him. The "possible adhd" words were mentioned and when we looked at his work, we were disappointed as it showed a lack of effort (he's fine generally with us and in other one on ones he's fine).

We saw the doc today to discuss (me and mrs firebrand1) and he's going to get a paediatrician to see DS but any experiences of interest. Teaching assistant also suggested an IQ test - anyone have any experience of that for DSs or DDs?

By the way, I don't know anything about the origins of this site, but find myself wondering who funds it/how it survives and are the moderators paid or just philanthropes? I do find it very useful. :P
Sally-Anne

Re: adhd

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi firebrand1

You might like to post on the SEN section about ADHD because it will reach a wider audience there. There are a number of members with ADHD children who I am sure will try to help you.
firebrand1 wrote:By the way, I don't know anything about the origins of this site, but find myself wondering who funds it/how it survives and are the moderators paid or just philanthropes? I do find it very useful. :P
I will try to answer that fairly succinctly. The site was started by a parent whose son was going through the 11+ process in 2004, and it is financed by the sale of practice materials and by advertising links. The founding parent has another job and does not take any profits from the site, and there are two part-time employees - a secretary and a programmer. Beyond that, all remaining profits are ploughed back into developing the site and into keeping the prices for practice materials as low as possible.

With the exceptions of Patricia and Etienne, all the Moderators are parents who stumbled across this site when their children were taking the 11+, some of us as long ago as autumn 2004! We are all volunteers and we simply receive the occasional bottle of something very nice for Christmas and special events. Our real reward is in helping other parents to avoid some of the stress and uncertainty that we were feeling before we had this site to inform us.

I am very glad that you find it useful! :D

Sally-Anne
brummum

Post by brummum »

Just wanted to say - this site is fantastic. I have been given more advice and help from here than from any of the teachers at DS's school.

Wish I had found it earlier though - keep up the good work :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

brummum wrote:I have been given more advice and help from here than from any of the teachers at DS's school.
In the words of Tom Jones: "It's Not Unusual ..."

Glad you are finding the advice you need here.

S-A
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Sally_Anne..

will you please stop quoting songs, I end up singing them for days on end......
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Thanks Sally-Anne. A moderator is someone in green right? Thanks again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

firebrand1 wrote:A moderator is someone in green right?
Indeed - we are provided with very fetching workwear ... :D

firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Very dapper indeed. Another query - is there a search facility on the site eg I wanted info about ADHD and so made a post but probably others have before so could I eg search for ADHD as a subject? :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sally-Anne wrote:
firebrand1 wrote:A moderator is someone in green right?
Indeed - we are provided with very fetching workwear ... :D

aargh S-A I didn't see you with that camera !!!!!!

... oops - there is a search facility on the top right of the screen .. between "FAQ" and "members".
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Thanks