Riverston School - lee - greenwich

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicemum

Riverston School - lee - greenwich

Post by nicemum »

Does any one know anything about this school?

I had a look at the league tables - i know not to look at that only - but wonder about their average performances - will this be due to very few students in the school - i suppose.

What is the school like, pastoral care etc

considering for DC due to small class size. any help please?
lefol

Re: Riverston School - lee - greenwich

Post by lefol »

It is propbably worth contacting the school for an explanation of their 2009 results and also have a look at the 2010 results. Have a look at my post under indie after the 11 plus, I did not consider Riverston because of their performance on the league tables. The fees are not cheap, compared to some of the others that seem to perform better.

If you are looking in that area, the ones I am considering are Eltham, Bishop Challoner, St Dunstans and Bishop Challoner. Good luck with your search.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

Thanks Lefol. I was looking at indie that takes all ability kids and notice riverston does, no one has really said anything about it on here or even better bickley park school. are they not good - despite on the cheaper scale by a few hundreds. :(
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi nicemum, what age range are you looking at? I only ask because Bickley Park is a Prep school so only goes up to 13 whereas Riverston goes through to 16.

I wouldn't describe Bickley Park as cheap - it has the reputation of being pretty academic and feeds into schools like Tonbridge.

Bishop Challoner (in Shortlands), Farringtons (in Chislehurst), St Dunstan's (in Catford), Eltham and Colfe's (in Lee) all go right through to 18. All bar Eltham take a range of abilities.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

thanks, anyone with riverston reviews please
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

I have to confess to only local gossip (I am very local). But the little that I have heard is not very encouraging, a friend did some supply teaching there (some years ago). She didn't think it worth the fees. However, it is definitely not in any way selective whereas most of the local independents are, so it probably has a very different composition of pupils. I have only once heard of an acquaintance sending a child there (a long time ago). Its not a school that any I know considers. That does not necessarily mean a great deal.

You might want to ask why pay, why not send your child to a local, non selective, state school. The only obvious answer that I can think of is that Riverston is much smaller. I suspect that state schools may well have beter facilities (no evidence though).

Go and and look. What you want is not necessarily the same as others. Look at the local state and independent schools as well.

P's Mum
P's mum
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I dont know Riverston directly but I have heard it does not have a very good reputation. I know of three children in the prep school that have recently left the school to my children's current prep school. One of the mum I spoke to teaches public speaking and she felt that English grammar was not a very strong point and even the teachers struggled in conversations. She mentioned lots of children and teachers speaking and leaving lots of consonants out (i.e Waer for water, compuer for computer etc)

She took her kids out and had to work extremely hard to get her older one through the 11+. At sec level, very few peope I know have not said a lot of good things about the school. Again it is all hear say and what one likes is different from the needs or likes of another.

I will suggest you visit the school yourself and make your decision.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

wow, what a difference a visit to a school makes. went today to colfe's and riverston's open day.
1st impression.
colfe's
- academic - selective
- good amenities
- very reflective of surrounding neigbourhood
- all staff on the ball
- balanced between academics and extra curricular activities.
- year 7 students mentored straight away
- some sen provisions - however no 1 to 1 support - expects dc to be independent.
- class size - 20 pupils

riverston
- very cramped in my opinion
- not lots of parents in for the open day - in fact there was about 5 parents at the time we were there
- extra curricular activities - interesting - it reminded me of state primary school
,limited activities
- class rooms okish
- sen - have a prog - focused on individual achievements
- class size - 20 pupils
- very unsure about the mix of lower level class and seniors
- not selective - takes all that apply where places are available.
- feels like they are pleading for parents to come on board.

dc needs the care and support that riverston provides - low on the academics - not sure how much the individual achieves their potential, but also needs that of colfe - balances the academics - achieves and extra curriculum etc but might be a bit iffy on the sen support - will provide but expects independency a lot.

Decisions - cant make mind up.?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now