Staying calm!

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

carolben

Staying calm!

Post by carolben »

Any advice on how to stay calm in build up to 11+ in 2 weeks time?? Don't want my son knowing how stressed I feel and to help him stay calm? :D
First-timer

Re: Staying calm!

Post by First-timer »

Don't assume he'll have problems in keeping calm. My own DS was laid-back about the whole thing from start to finish. Maybe he was just like this or maybe I did the right things - who knows?

Just keep upbeat and confident he'll do well. Tell him you know he's more than capable of passing. Lots of compliments help but make sure that he has earned them. Kids see through general "you're great" type compliments. Better to go with "The way you tackled question 7 showed that you can really think around a problem, even when you haven't come across that type before. You won't be bothered if that happens in the exam now, because you know how to deal with the situation."

Above all, don't let him overhear you express any doubts. There's plenty of time to reduce expectations after the exam.

Good luck!
carolben

Post by carolben »

Thanks for that. Have spoken to his tutor today who says he is more than capable, will take your advice. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Carolben,

Welcome to the forum. :D

When things get too stressful you can always go to the rehab section where you will generally find other gibbering over stressed parents. :shock:

I should warn you that you are not yet displaying full blown stress symptoms. See the following thread for a good indication that rehab is calling... :mrgreen: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =37&t=7497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carolben

Post by carolben »

fantastic its really made me laugh and now i know where to go when i reach that stage!
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

mitasol wrote:I should warn you that you are not yet displaying full blown stress symptoms. See the following thread for a good indication that rehab is calling... :mrgreen: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =37&t=7497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This had me in tears. And it does raise some interesting questions...

On a more serious note, I'm finding that DD is totally chilled about the tests while I am becoming a nervous wreck.
I've told her that we know she will do her best -which is all she can do - and that we are proud of her & love her to bits no matter what the outcome. In the past I've also reinforced the usual message of 'you will do well wherever you go' and pointed out that she has good comps available so it is most definitely not the end of the world if she does not get in. For the moment we're telling her there is no reason for her not to get a place.
Good luck and see you in rehab! :D
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Thats just a hilarious old post Mitasol.

It must be a dads thing because they showed one on that school seasons program who was obsessed about pens :shock: . Us mums are a bit more reasonable when it come to these things :wink:

The waiting and not knowing is the hardest part but once you have results that it really, life resumes again. Not trying to alarm you but it gets worse on the run up to results or allocation so just chill out now and grab a glass of sherry :D
Impossible is Nothing.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Sherry, our waiting will go on for ever it seems - we won't find out how DD did till 1 March (assuming the on line system does not crash like last year) :evil: The only indication of how she has done is if she makes it through to Latymer & HBS 2nd rounds but then have to wait for 2 months to see what school we get offered. :evil: . I'm finding it almost impossible not to over-analyse every word she has said about the 1st test she did :oops: . DH said 'just forget about it' - if only. I find this forum a very useful way of letting go of the stress so that I appear calm to her at least. Your wine idea definitely works but is not great for my waistline. :lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You need to grab hair dye as well Chicko-mum assuming you still have any hair left by 1 March :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
carolben

Post by carolben »

It is so reassuring reading all your replies today is the calmest I have felt in ages. It sounds like we are saying all the right things but so nice to hear others feel like I do !

I think I will be checking this site very frequently from now on am so glad I've found it !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now