Progress for Langley & Tiffin Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Progress for Langley & Tiffin Exams

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi All.

For those of us who are trying for the Slough Consortium and Tiffin, how's the progress going so far. Ive finally switched my brain on today and realised to my utter horror that although Tiffin's exam is 16 weeks away, Langley is only 7 weeks away. Panic Stations for me!!! 7 weeks! How on earth did that happen?

My son isn't nearly ready.

My question is: do we peak them for Langley or Tiffin? I was hoping to do the NFER and Bonds tests closer to the test date, but there's more than two months between the two.

With regards to progress,
For NVR we are just about to start the AE Tuition books. I cant believe I'm writing this with 7 weeks left.
This is the order Im planning:
AE Tuition
AFN
Letts/NFER
Bonds

For VR we have started IPS... My pulse is starting to get quicker...
This is the order I am planning:
Bright Sparks
Learning Labs
Walsh
Letts/NFER

OMG

What to do? Complete all this in 7 weeks or 16? Help!
stressedparent

Re: Progress for Langley & Tiffin Exams

Post by stressedparent »

JaysDarlin wrote:Hi All.

For those of us who are trying for the Slough Consortium and Tiffin, how's the progress going so far. Ive finally switched my brain on today and realised to my utter horror that although Tiffin's exam is 16 weeks away, Langley is only 7 weeks away. Panic Stations for me!!! 7 weeks! How on earth did that happen?

My son isn't nearly ready.

My question is: do we peak them for Langley or Tiffin? I was hoping to do the NFER and Bonds tests closer to the test date, but there's more than two months between the two.

With regards to progress,
For NVR we are just about to start the AE Tuition books. I cant believe I'm writing this with 7 weeks left.
This is the order Im planning:
AE Tuition
AFN
Letts/NFER
Bonds

For VR we have started IPS... My pulse is starting to get quicker...
This is the order I am planning:
Bright Sparks
Learning Labs
Walsh
Letts/NFER

OMG

What to do? Complete all this in 7 weeks or 16? Help!
Hi JaysDarlin,

I hope the eid celebration went very well, a belated Eid Moubarak. That means nearly 50 papers between VR and NVR in 7 weeks, looks very tight to accomplish all papers without the risk of burn out in that time frame. Has your son started any other tests for practice? I guess you will be the best judge as you know your son's ability best. As for our prepartion we not fully there but I think we are about 90% from peak. we have stopped all revision since yeserday as my daughter will be taking the test @ Nonsuch on Saturday. I want to keep her fresh and get a lot of rest prior the test, she will be in the 0830 session. All the best to you and your son.

stressedparent
stressedparent
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks stressedparent! :D :D

Yikes, hearing that you are 90% to peak has turned me into stressedparent2.

However, as we do have 7 weeks, I'm all systems go with ds. Thankfully, he has all his method and technique sorted, and just needs to work on speed and staying calm (I'm pulling all sorts of NLP techniques on him, anchoring, reframing.... :D )...

We did a timed test yesterday and he scored 75% within the 50 mins, so that did give me hope. I've upped the ante on the reward system, doubling the money i offered to ds1... :oops:
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi folks, I thought I would just report back after my panic some 5 weeks ago about not having covered much with ds2.

We have 10 days left till the Langley exam, and thankfully we have completed the IPS. bright sparks, and learning labs for VR, and AFN, Bonds and Letts for NVR. In this week we will be covering the last two papers of NFER Pack 11 for both VR and NVR (including the dreaded NVR 11A). Will be focusing on reading in the evenings, and nothing strenuous after Sunday, giving us a clear 5 days to relax and regather.

After the Langley exam we can relax and take it easy, pacing ourselves for the Tiffin exam in a healthier way than what has been in our household over the last month! Incidentally ds has a two week midterm holiday after his Langley exam, giving us a well deserved break.

DS has started to score in the 85%-90% region, which I hope we can improve and peak in the 8 weeks we will have between the Langley and Tiffin exam.

I'm so grateful to have this forum as a sounding board, resource and support forum.

Thanks, and best wishes and success for all!
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Jays D your preparation always inspires me. My DS had recently lost focus and scoring quite low scores. I have taken the week off my very new and stressful job and hey... hes back.

He today scored 86% on learning lab.. please let me know how good this is. He scored 95% on NFER a few days ago but I know these are easier. I have now been able to identify his weak type which is the different meaning.. probabaly wrong name, but the one where same word but 2 different meanings. He usually rushes without looking properly and actually thinking about the other possible meaning.

Please can you tell me the level of difficulty of the learning lab papers. I hope my new job and stress hasn't impeded too much on his progress.

Re: Vocab.. I use the CD's and cards around the house on any that he gets wrong, he often remembers them. This may not be enough but thats what I have been doing and as they are on the fridge I ask him ewvery time I go to the fridge what the meaning of these words are.

I need to offer something but don't want to overdo the incentive, so whats the going rate??
All I need now is wings!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks Supermum,

I'm no expert, but I think scoring 86% in Learning Labs is pretty good going.

Poor you - a new job at the same time as the 11+. That's not easy. The interesting thing is that you mentioned that you took a week off work and 'he's back'. Are you off till his 11+? That would be ideal! If not, is there anyway you can keep a part of you just for him, so that when you guys are revising, you're all his?
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

You have hit the nail on the head. I have to get a bit focussed however with all the open days and several late meetings it has had a real affect.

We will be spending a great deal of time on weekends from now on. I am due to have an op on my wrist so will be off work for 2 weeks.

New job is very stressful and I have considered leaving and doing some consultancy.

I have decided to go back to work but get in early so I can leave early. I hope this means that I can have more time with him as opposed to being extremely tired.

Just having these days of this week opened my eyes to the issues which are quite minor but when you are stressed and have little time can seem like a mountain.

NVR is quite time consuming but again it just needed a few explanations and he is doing a bit better. I think the learning lab is the new shiny red ones you spoke of in some of your earlier posts.

Ill try my best to give him much more of my time.

Thanks for the inspiration. He has his Wilson Sick exam next week, can't wait to get that out of the way.
All I need now is wings!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I feel we planned our study for NVR nicely this time round, leaving NFER 11A till the end. I was really nervous, bcz it could have been a case of make or break with ds's confidence. Yet he got 80% which was highly pleasing seeing as the going mark for that paper is normally around 70%.

Now we are just focussing on vocab and state management till Saturday. I hope I haven't got my head buried in the sand!

When my dear child was working so hard
I asked my inner, loving voice
Will he get through the 11 plus
Here's what it said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

When I desired the best for him,
I asked my instinct what lies ahead
Will he have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my instinct said.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

I did the NVR test and ds scored 60% on 11a probably should not have done it so early. Will get to work on this.

Any suggestions for a late starte with NVR? have access to most of the material just don't know where to start.
All I need now is wings!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Which exams is your ds sitting? Does he have one this weekend?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now