Teacher thinks my DD may be Autistic

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Midget Man

Teacher thinks my DD may be Autistic

Post by Midget Man »

My Y3 DD's teacher told me a few week's ago that she thinks she may be autistic. She didn't state what condition exactly she thought but is organising an Ed Psych. What I have alway's thought of as simple immaturity and babyness, the teacher is seeing differently. Now all I do is think, think and read, read, read :lol:

I asked what made her think this and she mentioned; Not being able to start a piece of work, or can sometimes, but other times can start panicking saying "I can't do it" She has alway's been quite whingey/panicky when it comes to starting anything new and still will not ride a bike :(

Can often be quite loud, i.e. squeal and cry for no good enough reason, really struggles with mental maths, yet she's not behind in it, should be top in English, but doesn't alway's produce her best work. Seem's excellent at Science and an above average reading age. Can spell fine but handwriting quite poor. Does seem to need more help initially with getting started on something and trying to stay on track. Sometimes she has produced fantastic English work and then other times barely written anything at all.

She has alway's been in her own little fairy world, a kind, sweet girl to everyone other than her brothers :wink: , which I just thought of being immature, but now I have no idea what to think.

I know what I have written is all a bit of a shambles, but without having knowledge on the autistic spectrum, I don't really know what I am looking at and how much of this behaviour is due to just immaturity??

Does anyone know how long it is before a school Ed Psych is done in Bucks? Could I be waiting month's and month's?

Edited to add: End YR2 Teacher assess were: Maths 2a English 3
Last edited by Midget Man on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffinmonster

Re: Teacher thinks my DD may be Autistic

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Midget Man

I really feel for you in this situation. My sister is going through a similar process with her 4-year-old DS at the moment and it's a long journey.

I'm by no means an expert on autism, but two of the main areas affected are language and social interaction. From what you say about your DD neither of these seems to be a problem.

Another area of difficulty is making transitions (e.g. moving from one location or activity to another), so this may account for your DD's problems in starting something new.

As you have probably discovered, IQ may not be affected at all, and it sounds as if your DD is quite able even if she doesn't always perform to the best of her ability.

LIke your DD, my nephew also seems immature and babyish for his age.

If your DD's problems are only being picked up now, it may be that her problems are not all that severe. As we are learning, there is a great deal that can be done to support the child once you know what the problems are. My nephew's has shown a great improvement in just a few months, because his parents know better how to manage him.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the system in Bucks. I wish you the very best of luck in helping and supporting your DD.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Midget man, so easy to say and so hard to do but try not to worry too much.

My friend's son had the same assessment done for similar reasons. I think it was approximately 6 weeks until the Ed psych team actually saw him ( But this was Herts ). In his case they decided he was absolutely fine, he's just a 'character'. Not all children can fit into the same square box, which I think is a very good thing !

I really hope everything turns out well for you and your daughter but if not I'm sure you will get all the support she needs.

I know how hard the waiting period was for my friend so I feel for you but try not to scare yourself too much with information. Everything can be interpreted in different ways. Sorry not to be able to offer any more help and hope you get some dates soon.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks people, I think it's just that I cannot pin point what exactly it will be? She herself, will admit to being a 'little strange', oh I don't know :lol:

You know what though? I don't care if she does have something wrong, would not be something we could take back so what would be the point? But I would make sure I did everything I possibly could to help her along the way and I know I would probably have to fight, fight, fight for it, but it's what we do, right? :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi MM
I recognise many of the traits you have listed in my two dd's but they have got on fine. So please dont worry.
Midget Man wrote: Not being able to start a piece of work, or can sometimes, but other times can start panicking saying "I can't do it" She has alway's been quite whingey/panicky when it comes to starting anything new and still will not ride a bike :(
In yr two i was called to the deputy head with the critism that dd1 would not start a piece of work and would panic alot - He started her on a sticker sytem that worked much of the time. dd1 was also seen by the teachers as whingy and sullen.
dd2 only learnt to ride her bike with out stabelisers in year6!
Midget Man wrote: Can often be quite loud, , really struggles with mental maths, yet she's not behind in it, should be top in English, but doesn't alway's produce her best work. Seem's excellent at Science and an above average reading age. Can spell fine but handwriting quite poor. Does seem to need more help initially with getting started on something and trying to stay on track. Sometimes she has produced fantastic English work and then other times barely written anything at all.
This all sounds like dd2 in year3. The teacher in year4 would find that if she let dd2 pop down thr corridor to the toilet and come back she would work better, otherwise she was fidgeting all the time, finding it hard to stay on track. Occasionally she would produce excellent work in english but poor handwriting and spelling. Also poor mental maths. I was always pleased the school didnt focus on her spelling and handwriting too often as it didnt put her off her writing. Now in year7 she can produce level7 creative writing on a good day.
Midget Man wrote: She has alway's been in her own little fairy world, a kind, sweet girl
dd2 is still in fairy world in year7!

Many have described dd2 as individual and i know she has some spelling, co-ordination and in the past concentration problems but it hasnt held her back. She has just startred grammar and is doing fantastically well in many of her subjects. I know it is early days but she seems to have the right attitude and thats a good place to start.

Obviosuly an ed psyc report will be interesting but it may be your dd is just individual and enjoys being a child!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

One thing you don't seem to mention is how she is at socially interacting with other children which is one of the main issues facing children with ASD.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

After more reading, I am beginning to think she could be dyspraxic? Is this considered to be on the Autistic spectrum though, or by itself?? I have become somewhat an expert on the heart, asthma and a top expert in eczema, but this is all new to me :lol:

Reason's I think she could be are; She has rubbish balance and alway's has. Still cannot ride a bike/refuses to so now has a scoot.

Doesn't hold her cutlery properly
Terrible with sports(which until now I put down to her just not liking them), will roam around on her own even when we try and play family rounders :?
The slow completion of classwork(Aren't alot of normal kids like this though?)
Limited concentration/poor listening skills(Again, what I saw as just her fairyland nature)
Big tendency to become easilt distressed/emotional(I thought her being a baby previously)
Not great with instructions-Would quite often be still sat on her bed half hour after being sent up to get dressed, or when asked to do something. Would alway's be sorry, but just went into her own little world(I took this to just be her fairyland nature)

BUT..She doesn't tend to struggle making friends, but some do find her rather silly! Could the limited concentration/poor instruction memory be why she can struggle to initially start tasks at school?

Another thing, sorry :lol: She has never really had great eye contact when you are talking with her, will alway's try to look elsewhere??
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

tiredmum wrote:Hi MM
I recognise many of the traits you have listed in my two dd's but they have got on fine. So please dont worry.
Midget Man wrote: Not being able to start a piece of work, or can sometimes, but other times can start panicking saying "I can't do it" She has alway's been quite whingey/panicky when it comes to starting anything new and still will not ride a bike :(
In yr two i was called to the deputy head with the critism that dd1 would not start a piece of work and would panic alot - He started her on a sticker sytem that worked much of the time. dd1 was also seen by the teachers as whingy and sullen.
dd2 only learnt to ride her bike with out stabelisers in year6!
Midget Man wrote: Can often be quite loud, , really struggles with mental maths, yet she's not behind in it, should be top in English, but doesn't alway's produce her best work. Seem's excellent at Science and an above average reading age. Can spell fine but handwriting quite poor. Does seem to need more help initially with getting started on something and trying to stay on track. Sometimes she has produced fantastic English work and then other times barely written anything at all.
This all sounds like dd2 in year3. The teacher in year4 would find that if she let dd2 pop down thr corridor to the toilet and come back she would work better, otherwise she was fidgeting all the time, finding it hard to stay on track. Occasionally she would produce excellent work in english but poor handwriting and spelling. Also poor mental maths. I was always pleased the school didnt focus on her spelling and handwriting too often as it didnt put her off her writing. Now in year7 she can produce level7 creative writing on a good day.
Midget Man wrote: She has alway's been in her own little fairy world, a kind, sweet girl
dd2 is still in fairy world in year7!

Many have described dd2 as individual and i know she has some spelling, co-ordination and in the past concentration problems but it hasnt held her back. She has just startred grammar and is doing fantastically well in many of her subjects. I know it is early days but she seems to have the right attitude and thats a good place to start.

Obviosuly an ed psyc report will be interesting but it may be your dd is just individual and enjoys being a child!
Good for her and put a smile on my face :D In a way, I do find it quite sweet for them to be like this!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Just1-2go wrote:One thing you don't seem to mention is how she is at socially interacting with other children which is one of the main issues facing children with ASD.
She get's on quite well, but a few children her age do find her rather silly, but younger children think she is fab. It's just her brother's she has trouble with :lol:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

She has rubbish balance and alway's has. Still cannot ride a bike/refuses to so now has a scoot.
can I ask - did she crawl or bottom shuffle as a baby?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now