Injured Bird

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

Injured Bird

Post by Midget Man »

I was sat here no more than finve minutes ago and heard this almighty bang into one of my window's, terrified the life out of me! Went to investigate, saw a load of feathers then noticed one bird, which I then realised was try to kill this other bird and drag it way :shock: I am still shaking, awful, I ran outside and chased this bird of it and the injured one is not hiding in my garden. If I put it in a box and take to the vet are they just going to put it down? Or do they actually try to help the poor thing? :?

Edited to say: That's how shaken up I am at the noise, what I saw etc, that I have made some awful spelling error's in this post :(
Warks mum

Re: Injured Bird

Post by Warks mum »

When we had a baby bird in our porch I called the RSPB hotline and they promised to send someone round. I seem to remember it took quite a while holding on the phone while a recorded message told me not to harass baby birds because their mothers were probably around somewhere, but eventually I got through to a real person!

The end of the story was that my OH returned home and persuaded the bird out, so I cancelled the request, so I'm afraid I never met the RSPB man!

Edited to say - actually it might have been the RSPCA hotline... can't remember now!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

How injured is the bird? A blue tit crashed into our patio doors once and knocked itself out completely. A jay immediately appeared out of nowhere and made for it but was put off by me jumping up and down banging on the window - it was touch and go, though, it was really determined and dithered around about two feet from the blue tit, not quite daring to get any closer to me. I couldn't go outside to chase it off because it would have grabbed it as soon as I got out of apparent reach.

After a few minutes the jay got fed up of hanging around and eventually the blue tit picked itself up and flew off - it took ages though, it really was completely out cold.

We have one of those cats that slaughters any living thing it finds - but usually brings them home to torment them in the back garden first. If the victim appears to be injured, I must admit I generally let nature take its course, but if it looks fairly intact I go and drag the cat in.

Mike
Ally

Post by Ally »

As a child my Dad was well know for looking after injured birds. It's very time consuming but if you're lucky it's rewarding. I remember him getting up several times a night to feed a rescue bird - Mutley the Sparrow. also he would come home from work during the day to feed him. We had Mutley as a pet for at least 6 months. We tried numerous times to release him back into the Garden, he was so tame he would just fly to my Dad and sit on his hand.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Mutley?! :D
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

You can't leave it there - I'm hanging by a thread here! What happened to Mutley after 6 months :? ??
Bring me sunshine ....
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

We have some great wildlife rescue charities near us, Cotswolds. Check if you've anything similar in your area, they're a million times better than the RSPCA. I caught an injured buzzard, they came out within half and hour, it was probably put to sleep, but at least it didn't starve to death! :cry:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Good news, after a few hours it was able to fly away :D :D I was telling my children on the way home from school what had happened, when there appeared the bird(pigeon/dove?) on top of our garden gate, stayed a minute or so, then was able to fly, soo pleased we all got to see that :) .
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

ah am so pleased.

I remember when i was about 13 getting up at dawn on a summers morn (yes strange! cant remember why) but caught my cat in the garden with a small bird in its mouth. Got her to release it but it was shocked/injured so wouldnt fly away. took it up to my room and made a nest for it in my sock draw. Drifted of to sleep looking at it. Woke about 8 am and it looked perky! Opened my window and it just flew right out of it - wonderful feeling :P 8) :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Glad all turned out well in the end. Often all that's needed is a little TLC.

DD nursed a slightly injured and disorientated fledgeling sparrow back to health last year. We found it in the driveway where it was about to become dinner for next door's cat. We called it Jack! :wink: :lol:
Marylou