Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
brummum

Algebra in Exam

Post by brummum »

Hello

My son's class is starting on Algebra next week. :!:

How complex are the Algebra questions in the exam, if Year 6 children haven't started doing it yet :?:

I looked in the library for maths books today, and Algebra wasn't included in the KS2 revision guides - I had to get KS3 books.

He say he hasn't done any with tutor so we've got 3 nights DIY - anyone have any suggestions on whether I should just do basic stuff eg 2a + 1 = 5 what is 'a'

or does it get a lot more complex than that :?:

Thanks
moved

Re: Algebra in Exam

Post by moved »

If this is for an exam in 3 days time then just stick to the basic form of 5a + 6 = 31. I teach this with shopping. This morning I had £31, now I have 5 apples and £6. How much did each apple cost?

Otherwise here are the horrors from our area.
The worst I have seen in Essex are of the form

5x - 3 = 2x + 9

Or using knowledge of a triangle and putting letters in the corners as below and asking what type of triangle it is

3a, 2a + 20, a + 40
um

Post by um »

I have just asked my son and he says he can't recall any algebra being in the KE exam at all. That said, he can't recall where is locker key is at the moment so whether you want to trust in his memory or not is your decision!
fm

Post by fm »

The algebra is in the mental maths section.

Make sure he can solve something simple such as :

2x + 6 = 18
Just ask him what add 6 is 18. Hopefully he will say 12. Then say if 2x's are 12, what is 1x going to be.

Make sure he can substitute:

If x is 4, what is 3x + 3 going to be?

If x is 0.5, what is 4x + 2?

If x is 4 what is 4 1/2x + 3 going to be?

Keep it simple but keep drumming into him that x + 2 is x add 2 and 2x is 2 times x. You should manage this by Saturday without too many tears.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

as maths answers may not be multiple choice, trial and error may be the next best step if the question is basic in nature. I have some that need the second to last answer to be square rooted as well to get to the final answer.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

explain that they have been doing algebra since infants. It' s "number sentences" where you have to guess the missing number

eg 2 + [] =5

3 x [] =6

14 - [] = 2

most children are really chuffed that they have been doing algebra all that time without even realising.

this is a good game
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/mathsfil ... ostie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/mathsfil ... ice1a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brummum

Post by brummum »

Thanks for all your replies.

We've been working on the basic stuff, and he's picked it up quickly.

Yoyo, those games are great - really built up his confidence with the postman one :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Hi Brummum

I found the bonds 11+-12+ and level 5 books very useful as well as the GL Letts practice papers.

Probably late now to get these :( but you try primary resources or topmarks websites.

Good luck :)
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
brummum

Post by brummum »

My DH wants to do loads of maths, English etc tonight with DS, I thinkwe should just let him relax - if he doesn't know it now, he won't by tomorrow morning :!:

What will everyone else be doing - last minute cramming, or relaxing :?:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now