Does G&T indicate Grammar School type of student

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Does G&T indicate Grammar School type of student

Post by Optimist »

I was just wondering. DS, in Year 3, had maths problem-solving to solver, for half-term homework. The teacher informed me that they were challenging maths questions and they were designed to identify G&T. Since DS found it difficult, it made me think, should anyone thinking of sitting GS exams be of G&T ability? Is there any correlation?
mitasol

Re: Does G&T indicate Grammar School type of student

Post by mitasol »

It sounds awfully silly to identify G&T through homework, given potential parental assistance!! :?
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

mitasol wrote:It sounds awfully silly to identify G&T through homework, given potential parental assistance!! :?
Yes, I agree. I did help him.

That being said my question is, is there a correlation between G&T and successful GS applicants......in other words does anyone other G&T children get into GS.........even as I write this I know the previous sentence sounds fatuous :oops:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure they correlate. I think the G&T label applied to the top 10% of each school. Given the variation in schools the top 10% in one school could be the same as the bottom 10% in another school. For example my DC was G&T in their non selective school but has now transferred to a grammar school where I would not expect her to be in the top 10%. Therefore someone could be G&T at one school and not another. Does that make sense?

I think I'll have mine with ice and a slice of lime.

:D
scary mum
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My DD1 was not G&T and is at Grammar school and doing really well. DD2 is G&T but only 8.....so I`ll let you know :wink:
Well she is invited to G&T sessions so I assume she is.....we haven`t had parents evening yet :shock:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

scary mum wrote:I'm not sure they correlate. I think the G&T label applied to the top 10% of each school. Given the variation in schools the top 10% in one school could be the same as the bottom 10% in another school. For example my DC was G&T in their non selective school but has now transferred to a grammar school where I would not expect her to be in the top 10%. :D
At grammar school to be on G&T register does the pupil need to be in top 10% for many/most subjects or can they be G&T at just one subject?
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

It may be different for each school. I don't know if there is a national framework/policy or if each school sets their own, but our local school each department specifies which children are added to the register for their subjects. So a DC could be on the register for Maths, say, but not for any other subject.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

At the primary attended by my boys there was never any mention to parents of G&T. Have since found that all school have this register but our school didn't 'publish' the information. DS1 is a member of NAGTY (although am sure they have changed their name now), identified and put forward by GS in the initial CAT's in Y7 but the primary didn't tell me he was in their top 10%?!?!?!?!

Friend of DS failed the KT and not supported by HT for appeal so the parents didn't apply to a GS. This child had moved to the primary in Y5 and the parents couldn't understand how he failed as was on the G&T register in previous school, which does support that being in the top 10% of a primary means diddly squat really......
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Amber

Post by Amber »

This was very recently debated in another thread: click below -

Gifted and talented

Edited to add: goodness, I notice that the forum has helpfully picked out the words "gifted and talented" in yellow when you click on that link. Just in case you aren't, I suppose, and have trouble finding them..."
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I suspect it's not a particularly useful indicator. Top 10% in any given primary school could mean anything when compared to the national picture. Also relies on the primary school being able to accurately identify those who are in their top 10%.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.