Tech Advice Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Tech Advice Please

Post by doodles »

Not sure if this is the right place for this so please move if nec.

I need some advice. DS1 would like the new Nano 6th gen for his birthday in a couple of weeks and we have agreed (not sure why but there we are!) Please don't try and dissuade 'cos this is what he really really wants and boy has he researched the topic!! However, he wants to get himself a docking station to go with it and try as we might we can't get a sensible answer from the internet. Does anybody have any experience of one of these?

DH and I are luddites where music playing is concerned and still hark back to the days of viny so all help gratefully received.
sherry_d

Re: Tech Advice Please

Post by sherry_d »

We bought a docking station last christmas but it wasnt an apple one. Cheaper brand I found at tesco online and it worked really well though the noise can be quite piercing when not in the mood. I just had to tell her to keep turning the volume down the first couple of days. The novelty soon wore off and the ipod is long dead, she claims baby brother put in water.
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks Sherry. Are they universal or do I need to get an adaptor or something?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Its a universal one. Most seem to be.
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Brilliant thanks - would rather buy a cheaper one if possible. Will get the T...o catalogue out.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Caution! It will be a matter of days before he realises he wanted an iPod Touch instead, I promise you.

The Apple universal dock allows you to control your iPod with a remote (also Apple) but you cannot use it as a music player/speaker; you have to plug it into a separate speaker unit.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I would check that the 6th Gen does fit into the docking station that you buy.

My boys have had a couple of docking stations as when they got their new ipod touches they didn't fit into their existing nano stations.

I'm pretty sure the bit you plug into to charge is the same, but you tend to get different cradles for the ipod to sit in.

My OH treated himself to the new 6th gen a couple of weeks ago and he loves it (even though he hates iTunes).

Just seen Amber's post and would probably agree that you can do so much more with a Touch.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Agree the touch is far better and more versatile, but has a smaller memory versus the nano's. That said DH and DS's store most of their music in their itunes 'library'. Not sure there are many who have over 1750 songs and really need to store all of them on the device anyway! Never buy music from itunes either, it's far too expensive!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yup, another Touch advocate here. Got our son a 32Gb (???) one for his birthday - would have got 16 but new version doesn't seem to have that. loads of the aps he gets are free so we gave him a £25 iTunes voucher to buy songs for it and it seems a really good little thing. Nano just music, yes? whereas Touch is internet (wireless rather than the other kind - ie my iPhone I can get internet wherever, whereas his Touch is confined to home so no running up downloading costs - my jargon isn't great...) Plus he can e-mail and do facetime. So much more to it than just music. Really helpful with little homework things (labelling the digestive system this week for instance, rather than having to turn on laptop, much quicker)
It came out round about his 14th birthday so we were late getting it waiting for stock to get in. Play useless, ditto Argo. Got it v quickly through John Lewis in the end. Mailed free. No driving around or parking hassle. Bliss. A good buy all in all. Plus a skin to protect it.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks everybody - I did suggest the Touch because really it is not that much more money (if you are going as far as the Nano it is only another £20 or £30 and it does a whole lot more) but no, he wants this new Nano thing but with a docking station. Perhaps I had better go to a shop and see what they say - just worried that if I go to the Apple store I am going to end up spending more than is really necessary.