KECH and now the wait

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
no_ball

KECH and now the wait

Post by no_ball »

DS seems calm about yesterday's test. Having sat Stratford a few weeks earlier has helped with nerves and general awareness. Now the long wait till March. Have some indies to do in Jan, most challenging one should be KES I think.

If there was one thing that could be improved it was the parental crowd control at the Sheldon centre when the boys were let out.

Good luck to all that sat. May you find the school that is right for you.
concerto

Re: KECH and now the wait

Post by concerto »

My son also took it at KE Sheldon Heath. The other thing he told me was that he heard a conversation between two sixth formers during the break. They asked each other, "Have you seen the paper?" The other replied,"Yeah, very different from when I did it."
Is this common? Are they allowed to look at the paper? What if they have brothers and sisters who were ill and will take it at a later date? Don't they have a bit of an unfair advantage?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

in the dim and distant days of the 70's the sixth formers used to help with the KEHS exams and used to look after the kids and act as "runners" with the papers. Really could not have taken much in while carrying them back!
um

Post by um »

I think the chances of a prefect having a sibling in Year 6 Primary (therefore 7 years younger) are pretty slim - and the chances of their sibling being genuinely ill with a doctors note on the same day are slimmer... some children cannot sit Saturday tests for religious reasons but if that were the case, the sibling wouldn't be helping either.

So this is not a major concern for me. What is happening more often is probably children sitting the test and then reporting via tutors etc what was in it, (which is fine as most tutors will keep that info for the next years' cohort) but who then ensure that that years' cohort of children who were absent for religious/health reasons have an unfair advantage. I would be more worried about that.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

so many variables out of our control, no need stressing about those. Ensure that what is in our control is as well prepared as possible. With all the preparation, my DS came down with temperature and running nose on Friday night. He did his best and that is all that he can do. If he does not get a place, then that is his destiny.
fm

Post by fm »

Obviously I cannot speak for other tutors but I wouldn't dream of using the feedback which I have already received about the exam to help a child sitting this year's sick exam. Yes, I would use it to help succeeding years but it would be a betrayal of my other pupils to give just one this advantage.

My advice to all would be to enjoy the post-exam high of it all being over, and resist worrying too much about the outcome. You can't affect it now and your priority should be your child's feelings. If they don't pass, your number one priority should be to get over your own disappointment in double quick time and make all the right noises to your child about whichever school they have been allocated.

I can cite countless examples of children who have missed grammar school doing better than children who actually achieve a place but that is with the support of loving parents who do not let the result of a 1.5 hour exam decide their children's fate.