Medway review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Angrymum357

Medway review

Post by Angrymum357 »

My daughter failed the Medway Test by 4 marks and as she is a level 5 or upper level 4 student were strongly advise by the school to go for review. She was not successful although other students of similar ability and who scored the same or less in the ltest were successful. The reasons given for her failure were - that she had shown no improvement in moving from yr 5 to 6 - I'm sorry but how any children have ?? and overall was graded as a level 4. Now I am concerned about the quality of the work submitted by the school on her behalf either they have overmarked her at school or inappropriate work has been put forward. Also during the medway test there was a large amount of disruption from the candidate sitting immediately in front of my daughter. I have written to the council and the headteacher and other parents have contacted them also but so far they seem to be dismissing the incident as irrelevant, well, I'm sorry it did effect my daughters performance ! I have seen the Headteacher and she says she will support an appeal but where do I stand on asking to see the work submitted and is there any other advice you can give me ???? :evil:
sherry_d

Re: Medway review

Post by sherry_d »

Once you have gone for a review your options are a bit limited now as you cant appeal in the normal sense. You will be challenging that the review process was unfair.
If you decide to request a review of your child’s test results it is important to note that the Appeals Panel will only be able to consider whether the review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way. Only if there is evidence that it was not fair, consistent and objective may the panel then consider any factors which you contend may have affected your child’s performance and any evidence you wish to present to support your claim that your child is of the required academic standard. If you go straight to appeal without a review of your child’s test results the panel will be able to consider these factors.
Some school have never upheld an appeal challenging the review while others have so you need to think about the schools you'll appeal for. You'll get better more informed responses in the appeal section of the forum. If you also use the search button at the top and search for something like "medway" or "review" in the appeal section and the medway section you'll find some old posts which maybe useful.

When did you write to the council about the incident? Was it immediately after or was it after you got the results? That would hold more weight if you advised them immediately after the incident.

Your school might have send adequate stuff but the problem with a Medway review is that it is very prescripitive and only 2% will go through. No less and no more unlike an appeal where they look at your extenuating circumstances.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i dont know if you can see the work sent in or if it is returned to the school . I do know that the review panel are looking for very specific type of work and sometimes the schools dont know exactly what this is. Also only 2 percent of medway cohort are allowed to pass a review.

What school do you wish to appeal to ???? and sherry is right you need to look at the panel finding fault in the review before they can consider if they can offer your child a place. Some schools panels do frequesntly find the review unfair others never do.

have a look these threads
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... way+review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ar#p209960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ar#p208089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... lit=review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ew#p203695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ew#p203605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Angrymum357

Post by Angrymum357 »

I wrote to the council about the disruption four days after the test a long time before the results were out and I have received a response saying they were looking into it and they hope it did not cause my daughter too much distress..ha ha.. Fort Pitt is the school we are hoping for,anyone any ideas on our chances at appeal following a review. By the way the school advised us to go for review first as they were pretty confident she would get through ! :cry:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

the only girls grammar i would advice you to appeal to is chatham girls. FP used to find reviews unfair on occasions when they were under-subscribed, but with a class less and a rise in popularity i dont expect they will choose to any more.

Schools always recommend review and some are sucessful. I know of a girl who had a failed review but was still offered a place at chatham girls last year. Read the theads i have found for you - the letter from council could be used in evidence i expect but ONLY if the school finds the review process unfair.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

tiredmum wrote:the only girls grammar i would advice you to appeal to is chatham girls.
My thoughts too, but she can appeal to both cant she or is it different if a review hasnt been upheld? Did you put Chatham Girls on your CAF though because it seems Medway only lets you appeal on a school that you named.

Chances of a successful appeal at FP are very small from the little info I have read and I think it would be much harder to challenge review was unfair. It seems it was very popular with people on this forum this year too but still worth a try. Chatham girls had 19 appeal and 14 were upheld but what I dont know is if these figures included those challenging the review process.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:My thoughts too, but she can appeal to both cant she or is it different if a review hasnt been upheld? Did you put Chatham Girls on your CAF though because it seems Medway only lets you appeal on a school that you named.

I think you can appeal, after unsuccesful review, to more than one school as long as it was on CAF
Angrymum357

Post by Angrymum357 »

Thanks for all the advice we only put FP on form so can only appeal there. Hopefully can convince that review was unfair in that it would seem the work submitted by the school was not her best and therefore level given by review team was way below her level as assessed by the school..we can only try...thanks again... :roll:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think you can appeal, after unsuccesful review, to more than one school as long as it was on CAF
http://www.medway.gov.uk/PDF/la_seconda ... scheme.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Requests for a change of preference or late applications received after re-allocation in March 2011 will be dealt with as follows:
If the requested school has spaces, then a place will be allocated
If the requested school is full then a place will be refused and if a new application a place will be allocated by the LA. The parents will be able to ask to go on the waiting list and will have the right to appeal for a place at the school.
You can make a request for a change of preference/late application after re-allocation in March. You would automatically be refused a place but this would give you the right to appeal.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

its a real shame you didnt put chatham girls on the form. Its a really good school and for any one else reading tis another year, we are very lucky in the medway in that we get 6 choices, even if it was put at the bottom it gives you more scope incase your child does not perform on the day and yu need to appeal.

AM357 apparently last year only 3 out of about 27 appeals were sucessful at FP - i think you can ask addmissions for the actual number. My friends dd passed and still didnt have a successful over-subscription appeal. Because FP is likely to be full you will need to appeal first against the review being fair, then cover non-qualification and over-subscription - a long tricky haul.

have just read post above - i would certainly make a preference change.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now