Maths Factor online ?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

joop

Maths Factor online ?

Post by joop »

Hi
Does anyone subscribe to the maths factor online tuition ? My DD is in year 4 and struggles with maths and I have tried some books but she is not keen. Just wondering if anyone would recommend this online resource.

Thanks
Complete Novice

Re: Maths Factor online ?

Post by Complete Novice »

Hi

I recently bought one month's worth of the arithmetic course for my DD in Year 3 as I felt she needed to improve on her number bonds and times tables. Generally, it has been a success. The fact that it is just 10 mins on the computer makes it a lot more user friendly that the alternative of Kumon that I was considering.

The criticism I would make is that there is insufficient control over what work is set for your child. You can, to a degree, alter what they do ,but are constrained by having to select set stages. I found that for DD, while she would benefit from doing plenty of practice taking away 2 and 3, she has first had to spend more than a week of taking away 1 which is too simple and feels like a waste of time. I wish there was a mechanism for skipping bits. The same with the times tables. I would have liked her to revise her 2X and 5x tables but to get to these, DD would have to spend a week on her 1 X table first which is unnecessarily basic.

I am hoping though that from here on, it will prove more useful and I will be extending our subscription.

CN
um

Post by um »

My daughter, age 7, is also using it. I find that it has been very helpful in getting her basics laid down well. She was moving forward with maths at school, but on shaky foundations, and Maths Factor seems to have solidified them. It is good value at £15 a month, and the good thing is, your child can do as many units as they want, when they want. So if she is feeling particularly motivated, she can do 3 units in one go, unlike some other online courses where you are limited to one per day. I also like the reward chart feature. She 'saves up' for Sylvanian family items for her dolls house, and that keeps her going!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Complete Novice wrote:The criticism I would make is that there is insufficient control over what work is set for your child. You can, to a degree, alter what they do ,but are constrained by having to select set stages. I found that for DD, while she would benefit from doing plenty of practice taking away 2 and 3, she has first had to spend more than a week of taking away 1 which is too simple and feels like a waste of time. I wish there was a mechanism for skipping bits. The same with the times tables. I would have liked her to revise her 2X and 5x tables but to get to these, DD would have to spend a week on her 1 X table first which is unnecessarily basic.
CN
If you ring Maths Factor or email them, they will reposition your child immediately to the stage you want them to be at. I've requested changes several times and always been impressed with how quickly they respond to requests and how helpful they are. For example, my YS(6) is learning his times tables, and to fit in with his learning at school, I've wanted to change the order in which the timestable are taught on Maths Factor, within minutes of emailing the request to them, they've arranged it for us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now