10+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

10+

Post by fatbananas »

Hello

Was wondering if anyone had ever sat their DC for the 10+ and, if so, what were their reasons for so doing? It seems like it could 'get the exam out of the way' a year early but presumably there are arguments for and against!

Thanks.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
hermanmunster

Re: 10+

Post by hermanmunster »

Only 10+ that I know of is for year 6 entry to some senior independent schools. Which schools are you looking at ?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, to independent schools in West London: Hampton, Kingston Grammar are the ones I've come across today.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Pros and Cons for 10+ -
pros -
they are well settled in the school before the rest arrive,
Often a nice small class / year group.
feel more grown up.
might suit your timetable better
good for kids who have "outgrown" their primary or prep
useful in areas (not yours) like Leicestershire who do an end of year 5 transfer to middle schools leaving kids in limbo for a year - some Indies gain a few at this point (Oakham / loughborough)

Cons-
you have to be sure that this is the right place
only a few choices at 10+ and they may not be the school you want for the rest of the time
Anecdotally it suits the more "grown up" - ie those who have outrgown as I mentioned above - if they are youngish or shy they might find it a bit daunting, many mature a lot in year 6 - being the "top of the school" and can be a shame to miss this.

..?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Many hanks for that info. Really helpful and very interesting. The schools I mentioned don't actually take the DC a year early (used to but stopped this year), but still have the exam for scholarship, so far as I can tell. So the missing last year of school thing wouldn't apply and I can see that's a valuable experience.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

fatbananas wrote:Many hanks for that info. Really helpful and very interesting. The schools I mentioned don't actually take the DC a year early (used to but stopped this year), but still have the exam for scholarship, so far as I can tell. So the missing last year of school thing wouldn't apply and I can see that's a valuable experience.
that's interesting -taking the exam early and getting a nice result would be the best of both worlds.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's what I thought! At worst, it could be considered a 'dry run'. I don't know how many children take the test but I've never heard it mentioned and it made me wonder why it wasn't more popular.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I did the 10+. I think it was because my parents didn't trust me to pass the real thing. Mine was to an indie (rubbish catchment state schools). Certainly nice to join a 3-18 school before the main new rush. Bit insulting though, in retrospect! (though was vindicated later by being only internal candidate for the scholarship - didn't get :( ) Def a pressure off situation and with the possibility of 2 bites at the cherry! Of course in those days no prep WHATSOEVER. Indeed I only got in on the waiting list since I hadn't liked the invigilator and stuffed my paper into my pencil case so she couldn't take it so it was submitted very much later when my poor parents found it.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

What an hiliarious story Milla :lol: Will be assuring my DS we have great faith in him .... But also checking his pencil case as soon as he leaves the invigilator!
LarryB

Post by LarryB »

Glad 2 see this being discussed here as I did ask about benefits of sitting 10+ in a previous post(under indie section) and I got some positive feedback. As mentioned only some indies have provision for 10+. Ds will be sitting Whitgift & Trinity in Jan and as rightly said it gives u 2 bites of the cherry! Only thing is revision over Christmas will be something especially as he's got his birthday soon after as well!! Thankfully he's ok with the idea of something small until after the exams!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now