I need help desperately before I am discovered.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

I need help desperately before I am discovered.....

Post by Looking for help »

I have just washed two lovely woollen jumpers , one belonging to each daughter. I followed the instructions, well sort of :oops: and now they have both shrunk.
I am now in serious trouble, these are favourite clothes
Is there anything at all I can do or are they lost causes ?

Please help, or I will have to run away :cry:

Thanks
moved

Re: I need help desperately before I am discovered.....

Post by moved »

Donate to charity and apologize/suggest they do their own washing if they get stroppy - I tried stretching mine when damp etc, but gave up eventually and passed it to DD when I did this.
tottington

Post by tottington »

Can't you pretend they're still in the wash and just replace them (if they're still available that is)?
tottington
Looking for help

Thanks guys...looks like I'm headed for the hills. One is still on sale, the other is not so I can't make everybody happy :twisted:

I've just read some stuff about soaking with hair conditioner and/or borax, so maybe I'll try that :roll: otherwise, I will have to come clean, gulp.

Gosh it would be great if they did their own laundry, that sounds like a plan.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Make up a sinkful of slightly warm water, add a gallon or two of fabric conditioner (well, half a bottle or so) and soak them in it for half an hour. The fabric conditioner "relaxes" the wool.

The rinse them in slightly warm water gently squeeze the water out and then reshape each one on a towel and leave to dry flat.

If that doesn't work I am afraid you are doomed ... :(
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

Is one daughter older than the other? Could you give the older daughter's shrunken jumper to the younger one and buy a replacement for DD1? Not ideal I know but it might appease them.
Looking for help

Sally-Anne, have done as you suggested, they definitely look better, so hopefully I may be saved. :D

Chiiled, a good idea, unfortunately they are both the same size, as they are 18 and 17, so unfortunately neither would have fitted either. if you see what I mean :D

Fingers crossed they don't shrink again in the drying process.

Thanks for all the advice.

Note to self, must stop being so scared of my children :roll: :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

interestingly since miss yoyo has been responsible for her own washing, hardly anything she buys requires hand washing
doodles

Post by doodles »

Looking for Help - do it again, it will soften more. What you have done is to "felt" the wool. It will relax more but may not go back to it's original condition.
Looking for help

Thanks doodles, one looks fine, the other still a little small, so I may have another go with that one. I think I might just have got away with it, but it was a close call, phew :roll:

Yoyo - I'm surprised any girl pays attention to the washing instructions,you have raised your daughter well, mine don't , although maybe I should make them do their own laundry, and avoid catastrophes like this in the future. My son is at university and has to do his own washing...he shares a house with others and apparently there is not an iron in the house anywhere. When asked about how they iron anything then, they reckon that nothing needs ironing at all. So he can't understand the fuss I make about washing and ironing :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now