How many tackles?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Freya

How many tackles?

Post by Freya »

The discussion on growing pains and sport have made me wonder about DS's back. For a couple of months now he has sometimes had lower back pain after a match and has been seeing the physio but there is no apparent injury. Do growing pains ever manifest in the back due to bones and muscles growing at different rates? Or is DS pushing his body too far in matches. How many tackles do you think it would be reasonable for a 13 year old to make during a 50 minute period?
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Re: How many tackles?

Post by hermanmunster »

Freya wrote:The discussion on growing pains and sport have made me wonder about DS's back. For a couple of months now he has sometimes had lower back pain after a match and has been seeing the physio but there is no apparent injury. Do growing pains ever manifest in the back due to bones and muscles growing at different rates? Or is DS pushing his body too far in matches. How many tackles do you think it would be reasonable for a 13 year old to make during a 50 minute period?
None?

Sorry Freya, I know it will sound flippant (meant to be tongue in cheek really - family at least 50% welsh) but rugby is a brutal sport and they are still growing.
Seen too many injuries, I told DS that the idea of rugby at school was to keep his kit clean - he plays cricket instead
Freya

Post by Freya »

LOL Herman. DS plays cricket also but his whites are never white for long!

Can growing pains be in the back though?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Freya wrote:LOL Herman. DS plays cricket also but his whites are never white for long!

Can growing pains be in the back though?
Not sure really - wouldn't be in hurry to diagnose them as growing pains. What does the physio reckon?

PS - cricket whites? - you mean greens!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

After having son in A&E on Saturday with concussion after a rugby match I don't know how you do it Freya. I felt sick (as did he) and then I thought, at least his fingers weren't broken for his impending bassoon exam! :shock:

Are there any professional players you can get in touch with who did as much rugby at DS's age? Maybe they can advise you of how they faired physically growing up and now.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Herman - yes, cricket greens indeed and I hurl abuse at the T.V when the washing ads come on!
Physio reckons something was initially out of alignment near the top of the spine but has had knock on (ha ha) effects in the lower back. Has treated him since with massage and ultra sound.

W.F.G - Ouch your poor DS! Was he out cold? Will he wear a scrum cap in future? My DS has had concussion with a huge lump but still won't wear one! :roll: It is awful when they're injured, I feel for you! I think I've been desensitised (a tiny bit) due to watching him for 5 years now. Still want to run on the pitch sometimes though!

Good suggestion - I've chatted to U16 and U18 Wales internationals but they are both props so have different challenges / issues.

Good luck to your DS with his bassoon exam!
Milla

Post by Milla »

delighted that one doesn't like it and the other is a beautiful back - scrum half or, er, something else. Would hate to have a son who is big and a forward and wore one of those nappy head things. Hope it's just general aches and pains, Freya, and nothing more worrying.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Milla - :lol: :lol: :lol: "nappy head things" :lol: :lol: :lol:

DS is the smallest forward in his district team so I worry about him physically and because he is also a complete nut case with no fear.

In a big match for his school recently he made 34 tackles and missed 2 (don't normally count them - not that obsessive honest!). Is this a lot?
Milla

Post by Milla »

sounds 34 too many to me, but not an expert nor likely to be. what do the school say?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

My poor son is a lumbering prop and he didn't have a nappy on his head which I was most cross about. I was actually quite unsympathetic about his injury until he started slurring his words and could barely keep his eyes open! :shock: A visit to A&E, a gallon of Irn Bru (wonderful, wonderful medicine) and his PC time reinstated helped in his speedy recovery. :roll: