Feedback on Roald Dahl Young Adult Collection

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WorriedRuby

Feedback on Roald Dahl Young Adult Collection

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

I just saw this collection on one of the online shop at bargain price. Age recommendation for these book is 14years+.

My 11 year old DS is great fan of Roald Dahl books.
Can anyoone please suggest me are these books suitable for 11 year? I was thinking to buy these books as christmas present.

Titles are:

Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life
Going Solo
Someone Like You
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
My Uncle Oswald
Boy, Tales of Childhood -

thanks
andyb

Re: Feedback on Roald Dahl Young Adult Collection

Post by andyb »

I have read Going Solo and there is nothing in it that I would deem unsuitable for an 11 year old, although as it is RD's autobiography not fiction it may not appeal.

DS1 studied Boy during Y7 so, again, it is suitable for an 11 year old but would he be interested in RD's early life? I found it quite amusing and relevant but we live close to where RD lived so places are familiar.

I don't know about the others.
Milla

Post by Milla »

they're totally unsuitable, but I've succumbed to the same offer and am going to give them to my boys - nearly 12 and 14. Might keep back Switch *****. They've read Boy and Going Solo. The short stories are great (are you old enough to remember Tales of the Unexpected?) but often with a nasty twist. Which I'm afraid my boys will love and, since they're well written, I'm OK with them.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

I haven't read 'Tales of the Unexpected' yet, will wait for library copy.

I have just started reading 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar' and it is very well written, there are some nasty twists at the end.

DS told me that he had read 'Going Solo' in Y4 and 'boy' in y6. and he loved reading both the books. :o
Milla

Post by Milla »

The stories in these books are what ITV used for Tales of the Unexpected - the leg of lamb one, for instance, being one of the best. Just different collective title.
mother night

Post by mother night »

I would hold back on 'My Uncle Oswald'- very naughty, or at least I thought so when I read it and I was in the sixth form. I expect though we were much greener in those days but I would read through it first and judge for yourself, I remember finding it quite shocking- but hilarious.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Agree with you 'mother night', I previewed one page of 'My uncle oswald' on other website and few of the words are unsuitable for children under 14 years old. that was just one page, don't know about the whole book though.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, I've just unwrapped the box and am, indeed going to hold back Uncle O and another one which is about him, too. So, 2 will go out of the famiy as already read - the autobiog ones - 2 stay in the smutty drawer and 3 will be given to the children. Still not bad for the money.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now