Can a Parent ask to view papers or ask for school to remark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3Boysbarnetmum

Can a Parent ask to view papers or ask for school to remark

Post by 3Boysbarnetmum »

A friend has just told me about her dd mark for NVR exams result for Latymer.
DD nomally scores between 90 -100% for NVR practice papers but now got 48 out of 80.
Mother and child are in shock and so is the tutor as DD got 140 at Kent NVR exam .
She wants to know if she can ask Latymer for the papers as the tutor thinks there could be a mistake..
Does she have any right to ask to view the paper?
hermanmunster

Re: Can a Parent ask to view papers or ask for school to rem

Post by hermanmunster »

There is no legal right - however you can ask and in some areas you are able to view them with a member of staff present.

Can be useful if you think they have missed a whole page out...

In one area this year, they seem to be trying to discourage this - they are allowing people to see the answer sheet but no question sheet - not a lot of help for VR / NVR (unless there are chunks not marked).
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i dont know the answer to this but i do know that if the child was a summer birthday they would only need to have achieved 48 out of 72 in the kent NVR to get standardised score of 140.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

hermanmunster wrote:In one area this year, they seem to be trying to discourage this - they are allowing people to see the answer sheet but no question sheet - not a lot of help for VR / NVR (unless there are chunks not marked).
In Gloucestershire this is certainly the case. I would assume that it's because one of the papers is reused after a few years, so parents with photographic memory (or a hidden camera) could copy the paper.

Here, the answer sheets can be produced at an appeal should the parents or panel ask to see them, as the school side will (hopefully) have brought them along (if not, then we'd probably adjourn the appeal until they were produced). The schools also seem to have a policy of re-marking by hand all papers for an appeal.

So far I've never known the outcome of an appeal rest on the answer papers, apart from the one time the appeal was cancelled because the school found one answer marked as wrong that should have been right, thus taking the child over the pass mark, and immediately offering them a place.
Capers
akpanto

Post by akpanto »

Unfortunately, DS also failed to make the cut for the next round. He was five points off the cut-off after standardisation. Called the school and they advised you cannot see the papers or request a remark, as they've been marked by two separate people. However, you can request a breakdown of the scores by section - which a number of people appear to be doing, and you'll get that in the post next week
akpanto

Post by akpanto »

Just to add that DS was scoring 85-100% in the practice papers as well, so this has come as a complete shock - we'd already started preparing him for the next stage, so all our energies will now be focused on the next set of exams.
Can't explain whether it was stage fright that caused him to score 64 out of 80, but it goes to show how competitive the exams are getting, as over 1600 children sat the first round.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It is a standard test so the answers are marked on the paper itself. That eliminates the slight chance of dc marking the wrong boxes by getting out of sequence. Latymer write their own papers, and if there is a chance they will use them again then they won't want to show the questions.

I suppose at least if the results reveal that there are low marks in certain areas and dc is sitting other tests then work could be done on the weaker areas. Did the tutor give a variety of papers - Athey, Bond, IPS, Letts, Nfer/GLA, AFN, Alpha being some examples? They all have a different style of question so the more attempted the better prepared.
3Boysbarnetmum

Post by 3Boysbarnetmum »

Thanks everyone for your advice. My friend has now decided to go the indie route..She thinks the stress is too much!!
Can you please advice more on how to prepare a child for QEB forthecoming exams? My ds is very bright, doing well in all the papers aand getting 85-96% in NVR..
I need to focus on him fro the next 2 weeks so we don't miss the ball. I am already stresses myself and couldn't sleep last night becos of friend's dd result as she is a very bright child.

What is the best method to stay calm and prepare son for QE in 2wks time???
Help, advice , techniques is needed as I am a working mum and always very tired to do anything with DS..
The tutors all think DS is up to the task...God help me!!! Need stress management techniques :shock: :? :o
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I'm doing 2 tests each evening (from a choice of English, VR, NVR and Maths) with dd and varying the publisher. Speed is a big issue so I make a game of it with a stopwatch:) If it's NVR we do them in 20 question chunks with 10 minutes each and if she finishes faster she checks until time up. We only recently started the VR and her times are slightly slow so I time each question! We mark the slow ones and I look for short tests with those types and time her again. I also watch how she tackles the questions and if there are 'shortcuts'.

Stress management is another issue altogether - I'm a bit like a 'wind-up-toy' at the moment:) The main thing is to hide it from dc.......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now