Chicken Pox Twice?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Chicken Pox Twice?

Post by Looking for help »

Is this possible? My son has a very strange chicken pox type rash on his tummy, but he's had cp before. Is it possible to get it twice? I thought not, although the first time it was very mild, we only realised he had it when his sister got it much worse a little while later.

Thanks
Moonlight

Re: Chicken Pox Twice?

Post by Moonlight »

Although rare it is possible to get chicken pox twice. My children both had it when they were very young. My daughter hadn't long started primary school when she caught it. Her friend then caught chicken pox even though she had already had it once before. Like your son it was a mild form first time round. If you are unsure pop along to your GP. Hope this is of help and that your son is better soon.
Looking for help

Thanks Moonlight, I feel a bit bad though, the rash started on Thursday, and its not too bad, the spots look like chicken pox but there's not that many of them. It has only dawned on me today after two more days of a few more spots coming out and the older ones crusting over that this is what it can possibly be. He's not unwell though, and has been to school, because I'm a very bad mother and CP never entered my head :(
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Don't be too hard on yourself, after all we are not doctors and we don't always get things right. You are definitely not the first person to send their child to school when they are not 100% well. We have all done it, myself included. It's sometimes a difficult decision to make especially if you have a job to go to as well.
moved

Post by moved »

I went to work, as a teacher, with shingles as the dr thought that is was an allergic reaction to something. It was only two days later that it was diagnosed as shingles. So you really shouldn't feel bad.
Looking for help

Thanks Moonlight and moved. It is difficult to know sometimes. Are you feeling better now, moved?
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi, I know everybody has a different opinion on whether you can get chicken pox more than once, and I've even been told opposite stories by doctors. But we thought my son had chicken pox twice and it turned out to be shingles. It's reasonably common in children apparently. His rash / spots were on his tummy and back just on one side though. I would say if you can, to take him to the doctor because you treat shingles differently to chicken pox, ie no calamine lotion as it only irrates it more and my son had to an anti fungal medication ( aclivoir ???? or something )

Hopefully it's not either, but I know I felt terrible as I just ignored for a week !
Looking for help

Not shingles, because its on both sides, thankfully.Oops logic32, it's easily done ignoring these things.
I will see how he is and if there's no improvement, take him to the GP on Monday.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

my dd2 had two mild outbreaks of chicken pox - the first she caught from her sister when she was about 10 mths, the second when she was about 3. Im certain both were chicken pox :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Looking for help wrote:I will see how he is and if there's no improvement, take him to the GP on Monday.
Do tell the receptionist that it could be CP or shingles - they may want you to wait in an area away from the main waiting room.

I hope he recovers soon.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now