what do dcs mean by easy or hard

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgcmum

what do dcs mean by easy or hard

Post by sgcmum »

Hi all,
we often ask our children and other parents,kids how a particular exam was.
when my dd says 'easy' this is what i think she means:
1.she finished well within time
2.she didnt have to stop to think how to go about a certain q
3.no surprises-known pattern,types
4.definitely does not mean she did everything right.

she categorises any paper in which she had to come back to a question to solve it as 'tricky' or 'hard'.again it doesnt mean she will score badly in it.

i think it only means a feeling of comfort/discomfort she felt while doing the exam-nothing more,nothing less.

what are other parents experience on this?

sgcmum
sherry_d

Re: what do dcs mean by easy or hard

Post by sherry_d »

All I can say is feedback from a child is just anything but....

Mine thought the exams were easy, very easy she declaired while on the forum other parents were downhearted because their cherubs had found some papers really hard or hadnt finished. Came results day mine didnt make it through and others whose DC found it hard sailed through. Bottom line is as much as we may want to rely on what they feedback to us you can only speculate. Happy waiting to you guys :D
Impossible is Nothing.
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

I agree. Have 3 children - they all told me they found all the grammar school entrance exams very hard. My son was in the top 100 for a school, my middle child got a good pass for Nonsuch and the third has passed two tests and we are waiting to see if she gets in. All my children were near to tears/tearful when I picked them up. When they went back to school they came home with reports of other children finding the tests easy - they were invariably the ones who failed.
SleeplessInSuburbia

Post by SleeplessInSuburbia »

It really varies on the child IMO. My daughter is naturally very good at NVR so i expected her to sail through that one, she said nothing phased her and is confident on that paper. She is more concerned on the verbal reasoning and said it was harder than the NVR. I was worried just a little although she also said she knew how to deal with everything that came up, I'm wondering about the VR but if your right then I can relax and think that if she found it hard, it could mean she may of done well. I never expected them to be easy!!
I was waiting outside HBS when one girl can running to her mum and half the extended family telling them it was so easy, was I nervous? she spoke on the mobile to her dad and was very confident. My daughter also came out smiling and that was enough for me!
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

My nephew sat the Bucks 11+ last year. He came out of one test choking back tears - terribly hard, didn't recognise types etc etc - my sister was distraught. The other test (I can't remember which way round they were), he came out smiling, all very easy etc etc. Come results day, exactly the same standardised score on each paper. So he likely had a few actual marks different but nothing much to speak of. (He did pass)
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

i have a cousin who though not at all academic could predict her scores with uncanny accuracy.she always said 'i will get between 69 and 73 or between 74 and 77.and she was right almost everytime!mind you,every exam fell in the 'hard' category for her.
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

My DS said that 'easy' means that he found the questions relatively simple to work through, finished well within the time (and had loads of time to check) and that he was able to answer everything.

When he said that the musical aptitude was 'easy', I was very worried as he isn't one to describe any exam as being 'easy' (being cautious not to raise his own - and my hopes unnecessarily...) but he did get through to the next stage - so who knows?

I think that we should take the 'easy' verdict with a little pinch of salt - and a little hope :wink: - but then push it out of our heads until judgement day...

Easier said than done of course! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now