Marks for working out in Maths?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mathsnut

Marks for working out in Maths?

Post by mathsnut »

I have just been looking at the CSSE maths paper for last year's test, with the marking sheet. Some questions have 2 marks but only 1 answer, presumably because they are multi-stage problems. Remembering back (many years) to my school days, you generally got partial marks for your working out, even if the final answer was wrong - uisually due to some silly mistake like 2+4=5! On the front of the CSSE papers it says you can work it out in our head (which my DD usually does) or use the space by the question for working out. Is there any benefit in writing down the working out? Would she get 1 mark for the right approach but the wrong final answer? Or is it just 2 marks for getting it right and 0 for getting it wrong?
colchestermum

Re: Marks for working out in Maths?

Post by colchestermum »

I might be wrong but sadly I think the answer is no.

The reason some are two marks is because they are harder or more complex
Hamburg86

Post by Hamburg86 »

Am not an expert but from experience with my DS' tutor marking his mocks he sometimes got one mark out of two even though the result was wrong. Exactly how it works I don't know but it seems they get a mark when they show to have understood how to solve the problem but then made a mistake calculating along the way (if that makes sense) i.e. what the OP said.
moved

Post by moved »

I do not know the answer to this question, but I suspect that the answer is no.

As many of the papers are marked by parents, who only have the answer sheet to go by, I would suspect that there are no marks for working. I also suspect that if part a is incorrect and the value is needed for part b then part b will be incorrect too.

As a tutor, initially, I give working marks and also carry the child's answer through on a two part question, but when marking towards the end I do not give any of these extra marks. If it is not on the answer sheet then it is wrong.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Marked by parents! :shock:
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

Whose parents?? :shock:
moved

Post by moved »

Certainly the parents of WHSB children mark the papers of the 11+ candidates. No evidence about the other schools.
forestschoolmum

Post by forestschoolmum »

which parents mark them? is this reliable? just sounds like something else for people to worry about! I know that you need to be a qualified teacher to mark sats would have thought it to be the same with the 11plus?!? mind you did wonder how they manage to mark so many papers. does anyone know when we will be able to buy this years papers from the csse? just something to torment my child with!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now