combe bank school, sundridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
absolute zero

combe bank school, sundridge

Post by absolute zero »

Does anyone know anything about Combe Bank school in Sundridge, Kent - a short distance west of Sevenoaks off the A25. It's a small girls' non-selective independent.

We are thinking of trying to get my daughter an offer from it as a backstop in case she does not pass the Kent 11+ next year - unlikely as she is generally a high achiever but possible as I am not sure how she will do under exam conditions.

We have doubts concerning its size - extremely small number of girls despite large buildings on a vast site, and although good GCSE results compared with Kent and national average, does not really do any better than Kent or national average at A' level.
Rebecca

Coombe Bank School

Post by Rebecca »

My knowledge of Coombe bank is that it is a nurturing environment, but has a reputation (at the moment - these things are always changing) for not being particularly academic. If you want a back up you could also look at Walthamstow Hall in Sevenoaks or Kent College, Pembury. Or you could send your daughter to Coombe Bank and move her to a grammar to do her A levels - there's alot more choice round this way with girls. (although if you live in the west of the county there's also the very popular and mixed Lingfield Notre Dame - the choice is endless!
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Thank you Rebecca. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had heard of it. How do you know the school and its current reputation? Is its non-academic reputation to do with the intake or the quality of teaching?

Do you think that someone who is a relatively high academic achiever would do as well there at A' level or would need to move to achieve their full potential?

We live a fair way from it so do not have "local" knowledge.
katel

Post by katel »

I am really not intending to be controversial, but don't forget that just because a state school is not a grammar it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not an excellent school. And at least you can get a lot of facts and figures - league table positions, SATS etc. Which must be better than a private school that it seems very difficult to find anything out about, of you see what I mean!
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Yes I know that, but there are places that one can live in West Kent, where if you fail the 11+ there is only one state school you will get a place at. And if that one is definitely not what you are looking for - as per results, OFSTED report etc, then you are a little stuck for choice if your child does not pass Kent 11+. I am specifically enquiring about a school for a child who really should pass, but there is always the offchance she may not, and there are no 100% guarantees.
Rebecca

Coombe Bank School

Post by Rebecca »

My knowledge of Coombe Bank is mainly through a friend who was living abroad when her daughter would have been sitting secondary entrance exams, and she went there when she came back, aged 12. As far as I know they don't have any problems with the teaching, and she is doing well and happy there. The reason I have heard it is less academic is because it is the easiest of the three local private girls' schools to get into, and so tends not to be the first choice of the local pushy parent. I don't know about the 6th form, but you'd have plenty of time to decide if it was an option if she went there.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Thank you Rebecca, that was helpful. Do let me know if you hear anything else about Combe Bank.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now