help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ghada

help please

Post by ghada »

hi
please we moved to high wycombe last year my son in year 4 now

what can i do to help my son to prepaer to 11 plus : i need all the information please and when to start
another thing his school is fine but now i understand there is just 1 child went to the grammer school last year from the school is this very bad sign or the level of the school not the major sign ;;;;
chad

Post by chad »

Hi

Not of your area but see the link below

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=547

I have edited this post as Patricia thinks that this thread is more up to date. :D

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2272

It gives a few ideas of where to start.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi ghada

Chad has pointed you at exactly the right thread - the 3rd post, by Patricia. (No longer the 3rd post, as updated by Patricia, who is determined to catch me napping today!)

The are two possible reasons that your child's school achieved only one pass last year:

1. That Grammar School is not the favoured route for many children at the school. Although a majority might sit the 11+, very few might be expecting to pass. This may be because parents feel that the local upper school is adequate, or because parents do not take time to prepare their child for the 11+. Unfortunately there are very many parents who do, so children who have not done any preparation are at a disadvantage these days.

2. The school may not achieve a very high standard of literacy, and that is a basic skill need to pass the 11+, because it gives the child a wide vocabulary. Encourage your child to read as much and widely as possible over the next 18 months. Download the free vocabulary lists from this site and practice them with your child.

You have plenty of time to help prepare your child, and there is lots of free advice on the forum. Start to work your way through what is on offer and then come back to us if you have more questions.

Sally-Anne
ghada

Post by ghada »

thanks chad and sally-anne
please also i need to undsrstand the scores ;the pass mark all that
i know a lot of questions but i really confuesd :shock:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Ghada

Oh dear - "standardisation" is the subject I love to hate.

A very, very simple explanation (which is all I can manage on the subject!) is that younger children in the year can pass on a lower score because they are younger, while older children have to get a better score to pass.

If you want a really detailed understanding of this there is a link on this site's home page on the topic of standardisation.

Sally-Anne
ghada

Post by ghada »

thanks again my son born at end of june
is that mean there is no pass mark standerd or what :roll:
chad

Post by chad »

I believe the pass mark for Bucks 11+ is 121

Someone posted the percentages her child was achieving in the practice papers and the actual scores gained in the 11+... you may find it helpful.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1223
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi ghada

The system is explained here - hope you've got your brain securely belted in for the ride!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php

The Bucks pass mark is 121 (I am told that, in theory it can vary, but it has been 121 for as long as I've known about it) and the top mark is 141.

As your son is in the youngest quarter of the year he is at a slight advantage, as you will see from the tables. There is an unproven belief among Bucks parents that the system favours the very oldest children (Sept - Nov birthdays) because they are more mature, and the very youngest (June - Aug birthdays) because of the standardisation process. Mind you, every time I say that, someone appears to say quite the opposite! :D

To achieve 121 your child will need - eventually - to be gaining a "raw score" before standardisation of around 86% in practice papers, but you have a long way to go before you get to that stage.

Sally-Anne
chad

Post by chad »

Sally-Anne

Puts my post to shame. Far to late for me to string more than one sentence together... :oops:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Chad

That's because I am in Bucks, and Berks is Mars from where I'm sitting!

:lol: :lol:

And hey - does that mean I've posted something sensible about standardisation for once? Goodness me! :shock:

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now