Best Books Teaching materials fo St Olaves Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
layla22

Best Books Teaching materials fo St Olaves Test

Post by layla22 »

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone whose DS' have done the St Olaves Test please advise as to which books for Maths & English they found most useful. There is a lot of material out there. I hear that the comprehensions and choice of writing topics can be quite scary!
Any other relevant advice you can offer will be very much appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
NEW2THIS

Re: Best Books Teaching materials fo St Olaves Test

Post by NEW2THIS »

Hi layla22, not sure if it's just me... but I feel there is a lot of secrecy regarding the St Olave's exams :( .
Not many people seem willing to provide information - even though they have son's who have successfully passed the exam. I would go for Bond Maths and Bond English.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hello NEWTOTHIS,
At last someone replying to me!Thank you. I feel ALIVE!!
I do agree with you though, there seems to be so much secrecy around the St Olave's test. It seems that no one is willing to share their experiences with us. I am using the Bond books as you suggested, but it would be really nice to get some input from those who have been through the process.
So if anyone out there would like to help those of us still struggling through, we all would love to hear from you, please, please.
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

NEW2THIS & layla22...There is no secrecy or conspiracy, honest! :D

My boy started St O's this September as did a few of my friends son's. To be honest, none of us used any books, tutors or tests prior to the exam. This is, perhaps, why you have not had much in the way of a response!
I do realise that this is not always the case as my son speaks of children that are still tutored and studied hard for the entrance exam.

Perhaps put 'St Olaves' in the search box and you will find previous posts with suggestions. My son said that the example/practice papers on the St O's website were very similar to the actual paper, if that is any reassurance.

All the best
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi Treacle,
Thank SO much for replying. You have really assured me. I did think that the sample paper they gave may not be totally representative of the actual test paper, but you have assured me that's not the case. So we shall continue with our strategy of " trying" to read different genres' of books- not just Harry Potter! Of course plod on with the maths.
Thank you again for taking the time to reply- I really appreciate it.

A belated congrats to your son.
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

Thanks treacle. I've tried searching previous posts for suggestions, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete advice. I know many people believe that you cannot be tutored for the St Olave's exam; but I still believe many children must have 'brushed up' on their English and Maths prior to the examination :mrgreen:
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

layla22 wrote: ...So we shall continue with our strategy of " trying" to read different genres' of books- not just Harry Potter! Of course plod on with the maths.
My kiddo has never read any of the Harry Potter books!
On an additional note, the 'Hunger Games' books have proved very successful at improving his imaginative outlook! Recommended!
layla22 wrote:Thank you again for taking the time to reply- I really appreciate it.
A belated congrats to your son.
Thank you - he loves it there!
layla22 wrote:I know many people believe that you cannot be tutored for the St Olave's exam; but I still believe many children must have 'brushed up' on their English and Maths prior to the examination
My own personal opinion (and one shared by a few of my friends) is that if he couldn't get in with his natural ability, then it wouldn't be the right school for him. I am not a believer in intense studying in preparation for an entrance exam as I feel he would then struggle to keep up with the other boys once in the selected school.

He honestly did no preparation at all, no Kent tests, and only sat one other entrance exam! I think parents 'know' if St Olaves is 'right' for their boy - just a gut instinct.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

this is all I know about St Olaves Test

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&t=11552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Billie

Post by Billie »

My ds just missed out by one mark on getting into st O's a couple of years ago. We had done Bond Maths and English (up to and including the Fifth levels). I was aware of a lot of intense tutoring going on and some being tutored with GCSE Maths work ready for the test! What the sample Maths paper misses out is that there are a few 'killer questions' at the end which really sorts out those with the best understanding.
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

Thanks Billie
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now