Waiting List criteria post-September 2007

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jah

Waiting List criteria post-September 2007

Post by jah »

The KE Foundation informs me that the order of the waiting lists for KE Grammar schools will be based on exam result until the beginning of the Autumn Term. Then a new waiting list will be started.

Does anyone know how places on this new list are determined. Is it still on Nov 2006 test result; do children have to take another test; or is it based on KS2 results?

Daughter is supposed to be dead-cert for 5s in SATs (ie not needing booster sessions to get them), but presumably whether the 5s are a, b or c would be taken into account.

Wondering whether I need to do D-I-Y booster sessions to improve her waiting list place come September. My other daughter has only had 1 new girl in her class in 3 1/2 years. So not really expecting to get anywhere, but who knows??

Post by Guest »

Hi Jah

Saw your other posting, was really sorry to hear about your daughter's position on the waiting list. Is she OK with this or did she have her heart set on KE?

I've noticed in our primary that KE Handsworth has become more popular since last year, ie more so than Camp Hill, bucking previous trends, and also the score for these 2 schools his closer than previously. Unfortunately I guess this isn't going to help your cause.

I'm sorry I can't help with any practical information, hopefully someone like Ken can be of more help.

I'm going to be going through it this year with daughter no 1, and just really felt for you, that's all.

Best wishes to you both.
normalmum@mo

Post by normalmum@mo »

OOOps, sorry, that was from me, normal mum( well, for now anyway!!)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jah

Firstly I am no expert on Birmingham.

The following quote may be of some use. May not be the same school but it is part of the foundation [ I think] perhaps Nicole may be able to help with your queries.
I have read with interest the questions and answers posted on this forum.
I am the newly appointed Admissions and Marketing Co-ordinator at King Edward's School that Dr Jalal mentions and I would be glad to answer any questions or concerns that parents of prospective pupils may have.
Please ring 0121 472 1672 and ask for Nicole Phillips.
(I also have a son in year 7 here so have a view from both sides of the fence!)
Patricia
jah

Post by jah »

She's now deciding that she's still really keen to go there (her big sister is in year 10).

She's like a weathercock; one thing one minute and the opposite the next.

Post by Guest »

Jah, Sorry to hear your predictament. For my own clarification, as I didn't quite understand your note, those who have passed and offered places are not affected by this are they?

Many Thanks

Post by Guest »

Hello, my understanding for 5 ways was that only those who requested to be on the list would be on it, and if a vacancy arose they would be called in and retested, the highest receiving a place regardless of sats or 11+ result.
jah

Post by jah »

Anyone who has been offered a place is not on a waiting list!!

I have had information from another source which confirms what the last guest has said. I realise I will have to let the school know that she wishes to stay on waiting list after September.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Jah

I checked my notes from last year and the KE Foundation Office said at the time that the waiting lists are handled by them NOT the school.

I would recommend checking with the Foundation Office what the procedure is. I seem to recall that they said youi can ask to stay on the waitinh list after Sept if you wish. Better check up.

You need to be clear where you child is on the waiting list. Don't forget that children who leave any KE Grammar in year 7 and 8 (say because their parents move region or area) are not automatically replaced with children from the waiting list. If there are children moving into the area, from say another grammar school, then they may be offered a place after an interview, school report and in some cases an exam.

You need to find out where you child is on the waiting list - make sure you find out the real position after allowance for any over offered places. (Most KE schools make offers way over the actual entry numbers to allow for rejections - that why the waiting list doesn't always move up that much.
rugbymum

waiting list

Post by rugbymum »

In reply to the question of waiting lists.

My child sat the entrance exam for 5 Ways in 2005 and scored 3 marks below the last child admitted.
My child gained Level 5's in QCA tests at end of year 5 so primary school and ourselves couldn't believe my child didn't get in.
We appealed to no avail and child started at comprehensive in Sept 2006.
Actually scored 96, 94 and 92 % on SATs.
I was of the opinion that I would not move child if settled and had no idea of waiting lists.
Unfortunately comprehensive education was not taxing enough for child and after being told about waiting list by another mother added my child.
Places during the school year are very rare but when the letter came saying there was a possibility of a place we jumped at the chance.
My child had to sit an occasional test in English and Maths - nothing like the entrance test, along with approx. 15 other children. Following this we were invited for an interview and my child was given a place along with 3 other children.
Child started at 5 Ways this week and already the difference in attitude and mood is evident.
Hope this is of help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now