QM Girls exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dream

QM Girls exam

Post by dream »

Can anyone please confirm if this will be 2 papers 45 minutes each, Durham style . Seems that they will be there longer than they were for the King Edwards exam . They need to arrive between 12 and 12.30 and will finish 4.20pm. Seems a long time for 2 papers even taking break and registration into account.
um

Re: QM Girls exam

Post by um »

I can't confirm the exact times and examinations this year, this should be on your letter from QM.
My son took the exam last year, and I am sure he had to arrive by 1pm at QM Boys' school. There were major delays coming out, I remember my husband texting to say he'd been waiting some time and no sign of any child coming out of the building. Parking was a nightmare and my husband parked (literally) some miles away and walked. It was sad that he saw a whole row nearer the school of what were probably parents' cars with parking fines slapped on them. The weather was bitterly cold and my son had a cold, too (the virus type!) but they waited in a bizarre queue down the street for at least half an hour outside before going in. Inside, my son says it took a while to start the exam and settle everyone down, and many children were arriving late. Then there was what my son said was a long break in between exams. The children were told they must go outside and I think my son forgot to wear his coat so said he stood out there for ages in the freezing cold with nothing to do. Maybe it was only 10 minutes, but probably felt longer to him!
The good news is that even though he felt ill and found the exam awful and suffered post-traumatic stress from going to the toilet there (enough said) he did actually score high enough to get in. The even better news is he got into a closer Grammar school higher on our list with better toilets...
However I do think QM is a great school, just not great to travel to from where we live.
So out of my slightly depressing recount I can only suggest the following:
1) Wear a few jumpers, a coat, ear-muffs and gloves. Better still, take a sleeping bag and camping stove for the wait into the building.
2) Anticipate potential delays
3) Beware of traffic wardens
4) Remind your child to wear their coat if they go out for break
5) Tell them to chose a toilet that is not blocked. For some reason I think this is less of a problem at girls' schools, but cannot think why

Hope that helps.
Dibble

Re: QM Girls exam

Post by Dibble »

um wrote:My son took the exam last year,...
I have no experience with QM, and the organization at KE Five ways went so very well this year – I’d got a bit complacent. Your advice is much appreciated, um, a very timely reminder for me to get the basics right on the day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now