OoC Appeal ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
logic32

OoC Appeal ?

Post by logic32 »

One of my son's friends achieved 119 in the Bucks 11+. His parents don't think there is any point in appealing as they are also out of catchment. Before I urge them to use this wonderful forum I wondered if anyone could confirm if your chances of success are diminished by being OoC.

I was under the impression that the 1st appeal was purely on non qualification, not on catchment, but I would hate to pass on the wrong advice.

I'm also assuming they would still need the support of the headteacher, which is a little more tricky as our school ( being a feeder for our local comprehensive ) is not really supportive of all things 11+.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Etienne

Re: OoC Appeal ?

Post by Etienne »

I was under the impression that the 1st appeal was purely on non qualification, not on catchment, but I would hate to pass on the wrong advice.
You are absolutely right - the panel will not give a moment's thought as to whether a GS place would be available.
I'm also assuming they would still need the support of the headteacher, which is a little more tricky as our school ( being a feeder for our local comprehensive ) is not really supportive of all things 11+.
Panels are not unfamiliar with heads who are anti-11+ (not exclusively an OoC phenomenon!). In this situation parents have to assemble as much academic evidence as they can.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The school, by the way, can be legally required to make available any academic information they have in their records.
Etienne
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks for your reply Etienne. Having spoken to the parents again, they have now decided not to appeal as they feel it would be too stressful for their son. My son is sad as he now will know no-one at whichever school he is allocated, but I completely understand their decision.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi logic32
logic32 wrote:Having spoken to the parents again, they have now decided not to appeal as they feel it would be too stressful for their son.
I am slightly surprised by that. Many parents choose not to even tell their child that they are appealing. Are they somehow under the impression that their son needs to be involved in the appeal or attend the hearing?

It might be worth asking the question? A score of 119 is really very close, and if they have good academic evidence their chances of success could be quite high. Statistically an appeal on 119 has a 60% chance of succeeding.

Sally-Anne
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Apparently they had decided before the results not to appeal if the result wasn't a pass. I must be honest, this was also my thinking if our son hadn't been so lucky. I think it's partly because our local comprehensive is an 'ok' one so the alternative is acceptable, and also because unfortunately (but fortunately for us) my son was the only child to pass out of 8 in the year who took it. Therefore their child will still be with all his friends, which was important to them.

Added to the fact that being OoC there is still a possibility of not gaining a place at their chosen Grammar even if the appeal was successful. They decided to (in their words) 'cut their losses' and 'settle' for the local school. I was surprised because they had put a lot of time and effort into the 11+, and seemed very keen for their son to have a grammar school education. But they are lovely people, and I don't mean to sound critical of their decision. I understand they thought the uncertainty, more than the actual process itself, would be unsettling for their son.

I did urge them to visit the forum, and gave them a few statistics, but feel if I said anymore it would be too pushy, and appear that my motivation was only to have a friend for my son !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If the alternative school is OK, I can understand their decision.