manchester

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
manchester

manchester

Post by manchester »

I've sent e-mail to appeals box with background.

We're 119 and 120, 2:1 prediction, Head will give very good support, Sats yr 5 - 5s and predicted 5s for yr 6.

How much addtional evidence do we need and do we need to declare something if it's not very good, ie poor CAT / NFER. I did read somewhere that the panel will have CAT scores sent to them already? What will the panel think if there's no mention of anything else. (I know what I'd think!!!)

If haven't got anything else academically good from school is it worth getting Ed phys report - I'm not sure I can put her through that though.

Is it worth going back and getting KS1 results?

Plus, Head thinks she's a bit nervous in exams, esp VR and visibly nervous on day, although sailed through practise papers at home etc. Sister at Grammar and desperate to join. Will nerves go against her, shall we play nerves down, Grammer is pressurised, lots of work / exams will she cope etc.

I know it looks like we're nearly there but I read somewhere that someone failed on 120 x 2 because without additional evidence the panel thought the child had peaked already!!!

Thanks for any advice and heartfelt wishes to everyone going through this.
manchester

manchester

Post by manchester »

Apologies, in case of confusion, we're buckinghamshire and hoping to appeal jan / feb 2011
mitasol

Re: manchester

Post by mitasol »

Hi Manchester,

Until Etienne or Sally- Anne arrive have a look at the Q&A on suitable academic evidence http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Mitasol.

And thanks, Manchester, for the background information you sent in.
manchester wrote: We're 119 and 120, 2:1 prediction, Head will give very good support, Sats yr 5 - 5s and predicted 5s for yr 6.
Someone somewhere needs to make the point that she looks to be on target for good level 5s!
How much addtional evidence do we need
Depends what is meant by additional evidence. If it means a year 4 report as well as a year 5 report, I would say 'No' - unless the year 4 report really adds something extra (rather than saying much the same as the year 5 report).
If it means the range of academic indicators, there's no getting away from it - the more the better! http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and do we need to declare something if it's not very good, ie poor CAT / NFER. I did read somewhere that the panel will have CAT scores sent to them already? What will the panel think if there's no mention of anything else. (I know what I'd think!!!)
No, you don't have to submit 'incriminating' evidence - it's probably better to risk a 'vacuum' than to submit something that will really weaken your case. However, there is a space on the headteacher's form where the school can enter any test results, so the decision may be taken away from you. The headteacher's form ("summary sheet") can only be submitted via you, so you will get to see it in advance and can decide whether to send it in. Come back if you need to discuss further, after you've seen what's been included.
If haven't got anything else academically good from school is it worth getting Ed phys report - I'm not sure I can put her through that though.
I don't think there should be an issue about 'putting her through it' - it's a one-to-one situation in which most EPs seem to be quite good at establishing a rapport and a relaxed atmosphere. I hesitate to recommend anything so expensive, but have often had to do so where there simply isn't enough evidence. In your situation. I do feel it would help to have some non-curriculum evidence of reasoning ability which might tip the balance in your favour (assuming of course the outcome is good - not necessarily in VR, perceptual reasoning would help). On the other hand, you do start with the huge advantage of such good 11+ scores, so it's a borderline decision. If the expense is not a consideration, then I would say an EP report could be very interesting even if you decided not to use it!
Is it worth going back and getting KS1 results?
Won't do any harm, but you don't seem to have much to prove regarding SATs and the curriculum.
Head thinks she's a bit nervous in exams, esp VR and visibly nervous on day, although sailed through practise papers at home etc. Sister at Grammar and desperate to join. Will nerves go against her, shall we play nerves down, Grammer is pressurised, lots of work / exams will she cope etc.
I actually think sibling pressure is a better argument to use than nerves, although neither is likely to be proved.
I know it looks like we're nearly there but I read somewhere that someone failed on 120 x 2 because without additional evidence the panel thought the child had peaked already!!!
It's not impossible to lose with 2x120, but the odds are certainly favourable!
Etienne
gilcrist

Post by gilcrist »

No, you don't have to submit 'incriminating' evidence - it's probably better to risk a 'vacuum' than to submit something that will really weaken your case. However, there is a space on the headteacher's form where the school can enter any test results, so the decision may be taken away from you. The headteacher's form ("summary sheet") can only be submitted via you, so you will get to see it in advance and can decide whether to send it in. Come back if you need to discuss further, after you've seen what's been included.
The headteacher can also use discretion as to which test results are shown on the form.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now