Shrewsbury Sixth Form

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shopaholic

Shrewsbury Sixth Form

Post by Shopaholic »

My apologies for this being off-topic but Shrewsbury School was mentioned here and I was wondering if anyone who had been there/knows anyone there could tell me what it is like to board there?
I just received an acceptance letter for a place in the sixth form and since girls are the minority (and I'm a girl) I am unsure whether to accept or not.
Any knowledge etc. about Shrewsbury sixth form life/boarding/education etc would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: City of London School for Girls + Universities

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Shopaholic - might be better if we started a new thread - you'll get some more response that way
guest43

Re: Shrewsbury Sixth Form

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I know little about Shrewsbury School (apart from John Peel and Michael Palin!) but my DD is in Year 9 at a (HMC Day) school where she was in the first Year 7 co-educational intake. So I know as a parent a little of what some of the issues are for girls in a small minority.

Firstly girls that thrive tend to be those who enjoy the things that boys' schools have tended to focus on. In other words they tend to be sporty or are CCF-keen. You will probably find the more overtly girl-centred activity such as dance or textiles (whatever that is!) is there but less developed. To me the girls at the co-ed school seem more mature and less "silly" than those at the all-girls school.

Being in a minority has its pros and cons. You will be treated equally and well but you will also have a high profile amongst the school community. You definitely won't just be a number.

Finally I think the girls tend to close ranks a bit. This is fine if the girls get on well but if they don't there is nowhere to hide.