Amount of information to include in Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tco

Amount of information to include in Appeal

Post by tco »

Hi Etienne,

How much information should be included in the appeal please?

How far back should you go in including reports? should every subject be included?

What do you think is the cut-off between too little and too much, before it becomes counter productive. This is for Bucks appeal.

Thanks for any advice
Etienne

Re: Amount of information to include in Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Good question, tco, and the answer may of course depend on individual circumstances (e.g. horrendous extenuating circumstances for the past couple of years, so there might be a need to go back to years 2-3 to show what performance was like prior to these events).

Broadly speaking, though, I would focus on year 5 and as much of year 6 as is available.

Panels do like to see a complete year 5 report (although it will be of limited value if it's one of those that makes little mention of achievement). Apart from this, as far as individual subjects are concerned, try and keep the focus on the most academic subjects, especially English, maths and possibly science.

Good CAT (or other reasoning test) scores, and good reading ages, no matter what year, are always very useful as individual results of this kind are 'snapshots' and may not be wholly reliable. It helps here to see a consistent pattern.

Optional SATs results from just year 5/6 would usually suffice, if they're good enough.

No need to write much in the appeal submission about all this - the attached academic evidence should speak for itself.

There's a specimen appeal submission in the Q&As that might be of interest to anyone who's not yet seen it:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
tco

Post by tco »

Many thanks Etienne - I wasn't sure about putting forward older reports but we do have a CAT result from Year 4 which should help

Kind regards
tco

Information from the school for an appeal

Post by tco »

Hi Etienne,

Another question please ... I've seen some notes about the possibility of parents being able to 'force' the school to divulge information (FOI) concerning one's child.

What sort of information would this likely bring forward and how would it be useful in an appeal?

Thanks for any advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Difficult to say - there might be some test results that you weren't aware of.

In the interests of good relations, I think I'd wait and see just what support the head comes up with first.

If not satisfied, I'd then politely request an opportunity to view the school record to see if there is in fact anything else that could be made use of, in which case I'd try asking informally for a copy.

If the school is unwise enough to resist, I'd move on to make a formal request in writing under the Data Protection Act (not FOI). From a legal point of view the school cannot refuse such a request, but it could charge for providing a copy (usually £10).
Etienne
tco

Post by tco »

Thanks Etienne. I don't expect anything from the Head but I may request to see the school record.

Another thing please.

Are the appeal contents and discussions confidential? ie who can access them in the future?

Kind regards.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What happens at an appeal is strictly confidential.

At the end of an appeal, panel members hand in their copies of the case papers (which are then shredded).

The original paperwork and the clerk's notes of the hearing have to be kept for at least two years in case of any ombudsman investigation. Your rights are safeguarded by the Data Protection Act.

Hope this reassures you. I've never heard of a breach of confidentiality relating to appeals.
Etienne
tco

Post by tco »

Thanks again Etienne.

Posts mention the 'good' Level 5 across English, Maths & Science required but on the Headteacher's summary sheet it only has Maths & English. We will not receive a Headteacher's report so how important is it to give SAT information on Science?

Our child got a 4a at the end of Year 5 for Science but we're not sure what his prediction for Year 6 is but will check with the school. What should we include in the appeal please?

Kind regards
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

It may only say maths and english as a science SATS test is not taken, only a teacher assesment is given :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tiredmum is right. Things have changed in that this is the first year Science is being teacher assessed at KS2, which is why it's now omitted from the form.

I wouldn't worry about it, but, if you have evidence of 4a standard at the end of year 5, that would be fine.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now