Past GL Assessment papers!! Help

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

veryworriedmum

Past GL Assessment papers!! Help

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hello everyone!!!

My son will be appearing for his tiiffin exam in Jan'11....we've been doing a lot of practice with GL Assessment papers for VR and NVR and practice papers from other publishers as well.....Can anybody help me with the purchase of past GL Assessment papers..... Words of advice and guidance really needed at this point of time....We are really stressed out!!!! He has given his Bucks exams, Langley Grammar exam and Slough Grammar school exam...he could only manage to secure 120 marks for Bucks...where the required mark was 121 :cry: :cry: Lost hopes for the other exams now....last hope is Tiffin!!! Its a kind of a 'DO OR DIE' situation!!! Can anybody help us please!!! :(
moved

Re: Past GL Assessment papers!! Help

Post by moved »

There are only 4 papers available by either GL assessment and now the 4 by Letts as well. GL are publishing another set, but I'm not sure when.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

The 2003 GL Assessment papers are no longer in print but can be purchased via a well known internet site. If no luck, send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction. I do think it is worth doing both sets; I also believe that some of the GL papers are better than the newer Letts (not so much ambiguity in the non-verbal and some very difficult vocab in the verbal).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The 2003 GL Assessment papers are no longer in print
They are available as a reprint with a new isbn and cover. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; These are identical in content to the 2003 version so if you've already done those, then these won't be much use.

Where are you located veryworriedmum? You could consider an appeal on 120 for Bucks.
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

OH Thanks to everyone who replied!!! Shall try the link for GL Assessment papers! Is Letts and GL Assessment different or the same?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Letts used to distribute the old GL/Nfer papers but now they have produced their own set of papers http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Oh thank you so much for suggesting an appeal! This forum seems to be like a ray of light when we seem to be completely lost in darkness! I've heard that appeal requires a letter from the school head. My son goes to a state primary school. The head at this school is totally against grammar schools and has already stated that only in case of exceptional circumstances like a death in the family will she consider supporting a case. We are wondering whether or not to appeal....any suggestions? And its just a wait and watch situation for other schools... :| Hoping for the best! Meanwhile, my son is continuing with his daily practice of 1 VR and 1NVR paper...sometimes he runs out of time where at least 4-5 questions are not answered! So he has started keeping a close watch on time but starts panicking towards the end of the test! Anyways thanks a lot of the replies....please keep posting....thanks once again for all the support!
Alex

Post by Alex »

There is a lot of information about appealing non-qualification in Bucks in the Appeals Q&A. Have a read and then you can get individual advice by posting on the appeals section of the forum. 120 is very close so must be worth a try?

Tiffin is very competitive.

Have you tried seeing which questions your child is struggling with and/or taking too much time over and concentrating on the technique for those types?
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi Alex! The NVR Questions where he struggles are mainly rotation based questions :? Can you please suggest or forward practice questions based on rotation for NVR. That would be really beneficial and helpful! Thank you once for all your support and advice! Looking forward to hear from you....Thanks veryworriedmum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now