Oh well, appeal route here we go!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mostlymum

Oh well, appeal route here we go!

Post by Mostlymum »

Dd very unexpectedly failed on scores of 115 and 107. Prep school baffled, as are we.

Her school doesn't do CATs but her VRs in Yr5 were 125 and 128. She's predicted high 5s for SATS, her reading age is 15+ as is her spelling age. School recommendation was 2:2. She's a high achiever across all subjects, especially good at French. School describe her as a 'very deep thinker', she can be a dreamer, very into drama and has a couple of LAMDAs under her belt.

She did have health-related sleep issues prior to both papers, there was an incident at school on the day before the 1st (she and three other girls were trapped in a lift for 45 mins!) which will have knocked her off keel, and she was sent home ill the day before the 2nd.

School is fully supportive of an appeal as the head believes she would thrive in the GS environment, although says 'it's a long shot' on that particular score.

Is there anything you can advise to help her/our chances?

Thanks!
Etienne

Re: Oh well, appeal route here we go!

Post by Etienne »

Not really. You have a case to put forward - only the individual appeal panel can weigh up all the details and decide whether it's strong enough to outweigh the scores.

Year 5 VRs look good.

I like the sound of high level 5s. Just one question - as it's a prep school, can you confirm whether they actually sit the SATs tests?

One factor I guess the panel will be looking at is whether there were other candidates from the school, and how they performed in relation to the headteacher's recommendations. (Is this a partner school?)
Etienne
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Thanks for the quick reply!

School does sit SATs and is a partner school, I'd describe the head as very realistic with his expectations which is why they were so surprised at dd's score.

Impression I get from him is that all other girls bar one performed as expected.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

School does sit SATs
Good. Worth drawing the panel's attention to this - it shows that the school are familiar with the standard required.
Etienne
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

How much credence should we give to her other interests? DD's head is asking me to get a letter of support from her drama teacher, if the appeal is on her academic strengths will this matter?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It will serve no useful purpose, I'm afraid.

Panels might be more interested in membership of MENSA, grade 5 music, or a chess champion ...... :)
Etienne
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Nothing like that alas! Thought that might be the case. Oh well!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

congrats to you and dc :)
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Thanks tired mum :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is there some good news??????