some things from the Bucks CC Admissions Forum web page

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pippi

some things from the Bucks CC Admissions Forum web page

Post by pippi »

Etienne

Re: some things from the Bucks CC Admissions Forum web page

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for posting that, pippi.
It was questioned whether coaching was taken into account in the appeal process
Some panels do appear to ask about coaching, but if a parent says "My child wasn't coached," there's no proving a negative!
It was also confirmed that decisions regarding pupil appeals were not necessarily enhanced by the inclusion of educational psychologist reports.
The wording is cautious and seems to state the blindingly obvious - it depends what such a report says (and how it is viewed by a particular panel).
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A critical change in the Proposed Admissions arrangements for 2013:
The LA is proposing, subject to consultation, to move to a ‘straight line’
measurement for admissions purposes from 2013 admissions round, and is therefore seeking to notify voluntary aided and foundation schools of this intention in sufficient time for all schools to move to a direct line measurement process from 2013. In order to have the clearest and most simple arrangements possible for families, the LA would like to gain all admission authorities agreement to the proposed changes. It will still be necessary for a route network to be maintained for home to school transport entitlement decisions, but this has different criteria for inclusion.

The new rule for 2013 might read:
‘Admissions priority would be given to children living closest to the school as
measured in a straight line. The route measured will start from the Ordnance Survey Address Point of the property and will end at the Ordnance Survey Address Point of the school. The address point of each school will be set out in the parents guide. Where a school has two sites, we will use the site the intake year group will be taught at.

Where one place remains and the next two applicants are equal distance from the
school we will use random allocation to determine which child should have the place.
In the case of a block of flats the lower floors will be treated as nearer than higher
floors.’
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Interesting! It's a 'blunter' system but has the huge advantage of simplicity.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:Interesting! It's a 'blunter' system but has the huge advantage of simplicity.
Agreed. I would say that anyway, though, as it means over two miles off our route. I've just found this site http://www.freemaptools.com/distance-be ... tcodes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which presumably should be used with caution but lets you measure straight-line distances between two postcodes. Alternatively, you could train a friendly crow... :)
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

That site actually looks pretty accurate, Marylou. I used it just now and it came up with the same distance that I got on Google "My Maps" earlier today, and it also came up with a very precise reading for the "distance by land transport".

A good find, because My Maps is a horror to use.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:That site actually looks pretty accurate, Marylou. I used it just now and it came up with the same distance that I got on Google "My Maps" earlier today, and it also came up with a very precise reading for the "distance by land transport".

A good find, because My Maps is a horror to use.
Yes - our land transport reading is also quite accurate. The graphic is also very useful as it shows just how wiggly our route is, compared to the straight-line measurement.
Marylou
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Interesting stuff - thanks!

Sally-Anne, the implication seems to be that catchment areas will also go. Have I got that right?

If so, that could be a concern. Surely we will end up with some areas very well served (where allocation radii overlap) and other areas who will be shut out (no allocation radius even reaches them)...
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Interesting .... using that map we just got 5 miles nearer to our catchment grammar (as the crow flies) and 2 miles nearer by land transport!

Lets go with as the crow flies - looks good to me :wink:
Heartmum x x x
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

heartmum,

Unfortunately everyone else just got closer too ! :roll: :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now