Help in understanding my son's score.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Matman

Help in understanding my son's score.

Post by Matman »

My son scored 107 in the 2010 11+, but was expected to do well enough to pass. He is the eldest in the class, born Sept 1st. My question is, what was his raw score likely to have been / what points were lost ?

Although we are relaxed about his score and feel the local Upper School will be good for him, it would still be interesting to see his papers. Is this possible under the Freedom of Information Act.

Lastly, my son's school performed very badly overall in the 11+ with an overall pass rate of 12% (5% for boys). Is there a league table of school pass levels in Bucks. Maybe I am paranoid, but there seems to be a chinese style 'wall of secrecy' at every level - school, county etc.

Any advice / comments appreciated.

Thanks
bromley mum

Re: Help in understanding my son's score.

Post by bromley mum »

Matman wrote:it would still be interesting to see his papers. Is this possible under the Freedom of Information Act.
Some counties let parents look at the papers but as exam papers are exempt from the FIA you cannot ask to see them if they do not make them avaiable.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Matman wrote:My son scored 107 in the 2010 11+, but was expected to do well enough to pass. He is the eldest in the class, born Sept 1st. My question is, what was his raw score likely to have been / what points were lost ?
We've no way of knowing, but, to give you a very rough idea, my guess would be that if he'd been 6 months younger (average age), and if this had been a nationally standardised VR test, he might well have scored around 110.

Although we are relaxed about his score and feel the local Upper School will be good for him, it would still be interesting to see his papers. Is this possible under the Freedom of Information Act.
It's Data Protection rather than Freedom of Information, but no, not in your LA. They will, however, do a remark and analysis - for a fee.
Lastly, my son's school performed very badly overall in the 11+ with an overall pass rate of 12% (5% for boys). Is there a league table of school pass levels in Bucks. Maybe I am paranoid, but there seems to be a chinese style 'wall of secrecy' at every level - school, county etc.
Scroll down to Dad40's post on 11th October:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=1651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
drummer

Post by drummer »

As I understand it (from discussions on this forum) NO points are added or taken away due to age and, if I'm correct, I think it is important to get away from this thought.

What happens is that all the children are compared to other children their age. For example all September children are compared to all other September children. Because there is a real advantage to being older it happens that the September children (on average) out-perform the October children, the October children out-perform the November children and so on. And so, the actual raw pass mark may vary across the age bands and is generally lower for younger children.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Etienne wrote:[Scroll down to Dad40's post on 11th October:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=1651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
did you link to the correct thread Etienne?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Dad40's scores are here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=16514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for providing the correct link, Mitasol - I must give up posting late at night! :oops:

Agree with what you say about standardisation, drummer. My answer was just illustrative, trying to address what presumably lay behind Matman's question - might standardisation have accounted for much of the shortfall of marks in her son's case? We cannot be sure, as I recognised - but based on typical variations at the extremes of age, it's highly unlikely!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now