Caveat Emptor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Caveat Emptor

Post by Ed's mum »

Just a warning really about online shopping because of an experience I have just had.
I bought a gold locket from an online auction site and paid £40 for it which is slightly cheaper than buying it from a jewellery shop. Anyway, it arrived yesterday and the chain was gossamer-thin and knotted and impossible to unknot without breaking. The heart was also of a poor standard compared with the one my husband bought for me years ago; che a p-feel ing (edit: no idea why those words were asterisked out!!)and lighter than I would expect.
The seller had for reasons of, I assumed, auction site charges, charged me 99 pence for the necklace but £39 for postage. But once I realised I wanted a refund I started to panic that I would only get 99 pence back. Argh. I couldn't believe how stupid I had been.
To cut a rather long story short, the seller instantly agreed to a full refund and told me to not bother sending the item back but to keep it. I then received a further message saying that, upon reflection, he had decided to remove the other identical items he was selling on the same site.
Now I have been extremely lucky. I have a full refund and he seems to have been reasonable. His actions do suggest to me that he knows that the necklaces are of a poor standard though, I think. He didn't quibble, he removed the other items and didn't send me his address so I can return the item. Highly suspicious?
I guess there are lots of sharks out there; especially on the build up to Christmas.
Snowdrops

Re: Caveat Emptor

Post by Snowdrops »

It's a good warning and a timely reminder, as you say, with Christmas just about here.

This is the reason why I have never, and will never, touch eeeeeeeebay and other similar sites with a barge pole. You just don't know who you're dealing with. There's lots of great sellers on that site, but unfortunately far too many others who are out to make a fast buck at other's expense.

Buyers beware indeed!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've been using Ebay for years and IMHO you are better off going elsewhere now. Almost everyone there is now some sort of trader and prices are not competitive with other online sources. Some of the prices are in fact quite mind boggling compared to what you'd expect to pay elsewhere.

There are a few specific exceptions, and occasionally you can find a "real" person selling off some surplus item, but by and large I wouldn't bother any more.

Mike
marigold

Post by marigold »

I once got rather carried away bidding for a Jo Malone candle. Seconds after upping my bid I noticed the candle in question was a travel size one ( in very small print ) rather than the full sized one I thought. I went on the Jo Malone website and realised that I had bid considerably more than I would have to pay direct from her. Thankfully some other mug bid even higher at the last minute so I was saved.

I have been very careful since and last week triumphed with a quicksilver snowboarding jacket for my son, brand new and for less than a tenner including postage.
moved

Post by moved »

We got DD's flute on ebay, engraved but never used and for 1/5 of the full price.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I think maybe Ebay should have a separate category for traders, as opposed to householders genuinely selling off surplus items which is what the site was originally intended for. It would be easy enough to enforce - if someone is selling more than three of the same item then they are probably a trader and buyers can choose whether or not to look at their merchandise.

I've had some great bargains from Ebay over the years, but am now finding it really tedious to have to scroll through pages of overpriced tat... :|
Marylou
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Ebay has its place for things like wedding stuff etc but I find the prices on anything branded or designer really silly and the odd thing is there will be many people bidding at these stupid prices. :shock:

I sold of some of my baby stuff on there and the ones with labels like mamas and papas sold for stupid prices. I actually made a profit on most of these and if these people had just bothered googling they would have found they could buy brand new for cheaper.

Most buyers there are just addicts who think there are always getting a bargain. I have seen children Boden stuff selling for silly prices and I wonder surely if its not better to buy something new in next for same price than be a wannabe yummy middle class mum. Its no suprise considering on who shall not be named forum people do night virgils for Boden sales :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.