11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Maths and English GCSE standards

Post by sj355 »

Take a look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xams02.xml

And then what I write is controversial? Welcome to the real world!

INEX
sj355
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Looks like the one size fits all GCSE is nearing its end of life.

I propose two exams shall we call them GCE ( O level ) and CSE.

De ja vu ?

It's easy to be cynical but if high achievers can have a more testing exam and low achievers ( must be a better phrase ) a certificate that indicates they have mastered the basics then a step in the right direction. :?:

stevew61
sj355

Post by sj355 »

It's easy to be cynical but if high achievers can have a more testing exam and low achievers ( must be a better phrase ) a certificate that indicates they have mastered the basics then a step in the right direction. :?:
Yes, but it is like accepting defeat with very serious consequences for the latter group. And what constitutes "the basics" by the way? The importance of the serious implications of not knowing basic functional maths (including basic financial maths) is stressed by the FSA below:

http://www.ifslearning.com/news/headlin ... rs_fin.cfm

( I have now resigned myself to url links only so that no one can accuse me of exaggerating or being offesnive). Apparently there are three issues here: what is taught, how and for how long?
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In 2010 a new functional Maths 'test' becomes established - from 2012 no one will be able to get a grade C without passing this.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/functional_skills.php

In 2012 there will be two GCSEs in Maths - GCSE 1 [standard basics] and GCSE 2 which is more problem solving based. I haven't got a link for this but we had the chief AQA person giving us details and showing us trial papers. Current Y6s will be the first to sit this!!

Pilots are being run at the moment - I can post more about this if you are interested

Post by Guest »

Thought that 'personal comments'are not suited to this type of thread.
so that no one can accuse me of exaggerating or being offesnive).
d then what I write is controversial? Welcome to the real world!
Relaying the very interesting links would be enough but tagging your posts with the comments rakes up old ground again which we are trying to avoid. We don't really want locked threads everywhere.

Finding it really hard to find information and discussions without getting side tracked.

Just want there not to be an atmosphere of sorts. Stick the facts.no innuendos, everyone.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Anonymous wrote:Thought that 'personal comments'are not suited to this type of thread.
so that no one can accuse me of exaggerating or being offesnive).
d then what I write is controversial? Welcome to the real world!
Relaying the very interesting links would be enough but tagging your posts with the comments rakes up old ground again which we are trying to avoid. We don't really want locked threads everywhere.

Finding it really hard to find information and discussions without getting side tracked.
Who is doing the side tracking now? What do you mean just the facts? this is a discussion forum!!

INEX
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I have send a PM the administrator about this. It would be nice to have your opinion/contribution on the subject if this is why you have entred this thread.

INEX
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest - please stick with it - see my post re the changes to GCSE - I am happy to post more.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Pilots are being run at the moment - I can post more about this if you are interested[/quote]

You mean at specific schools/areas?
Won't the creation of two papers, also create the perception that paper 1 is just a second class GCSE? Or will students have to take both?

INEX
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes in some schools - we weren't told where!

"From 2012 [Current year 6] there will be double certification in Mathematics: GCSE 1 & 2

To be known as Maths and Additional Maths

The current proposals are:

GCSE 1 (AQA)
• Two tier
• Same content as now
• Calculator and non-calculator
• Skills based (i.e. can they do basic Maths no using and applying questions)
• Available both as modular and linear

AQA & OCR Linear:
Functional Maths (35%)
Paper 1 Non-calculator (32.5%)
Paper 2 Calculator (32.5%)

AQA Modular:
Module 1 – Functional Maths (35%)
Module 2 – Handling Data and SSM (25%) – two tier
Module 3 – Number and Algebra (40%) – two tier

GCSE 2 (Additional Maths):
• Aimed at 50% of the population
• Intended for the more able and/or more motivated
• Good preparation for further study

AQA GCSE 2 will be 2 tier and will assess 'using and applying'

OCR GCSE 2 will be a single paper assessing G-A* with ~ 8 questions in ~ 3 parts:
Part 1 – easy grade G/F
Part 2 – intermediate grade E – D/C
Part 3 – very demanding grade B – A*"

Obviously as this is a pilot the final model may be one or the other or a mixture or none of the above - I will keep people informed if they wish.