What Next?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggle

What Next?

Post by Muggle »

I've been working through the AE1 NVR Workbook with my DC and we've nearly finished it. What do you recommend as the next step? Should we carry on to AE2 or perhaps try Bond for a different approach?
purplerose69

Re: What Next?

Post by purplerose69 »

Hello,

yes, you can carry on with AET 2 and do all the Bond levels of NVR; Athey and GL assessment are also good. Just to let you know, nets are not given at 11+ exams ( in London, at least).

Regards.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what area are you in Muggle?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

DC will be sitting the Kent test.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

definitely not nets then..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the elevenplusexams cd/download is quite good too. You can try the demo for free.

also games like tetris, jigsaws and spot the difference type puzzles, they all help with the skills needed for NVR.

I've not used Athey so can't comment on how suitable they are for Kent test.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Thank you for your help.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Muggle wrote:Should we carry on to AE2 or perhaps try Bond for a different approach?
The AE is on the easier side and a good start, bond NVR are perhaps the best one to move a step up and you can use AE2 as a filler for types your DC will be struggling with.
Impossible is Nothing.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

IPS are good - close to the test in style, but watch out for a couple of mistakes in the tests as they aren't checked as well as the IPS VR.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I'm a novice with 11+... so I can't really advise what is suitable for Kent and in what order it is best to study the different books. :(
However, my DS is going through the NVR books of the serie Learning together and he is having lots of fun... There is a step by step guide which introduce to different types of questions and then two books with tests.
We love them! :D

P.S.: Can anybody specify to us what is their level of difficulty compared to the bond books? :?:
fm

Post by fm »

Easier in the main.

Also they stipulate too generous times in the book. My students, on average, take about 26 minutes on these, with the fastest about 16minutes, even though they are allowed 40 minutes.