Chance of success at appeal (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

buckschild

Chance of success at appeal (Bucks)

Post by buckschild »

DC didn't qualify for GS, scores below the recommended appeal zone 116+ although we do have verifiable extenuating circumstances. Unsure if the academics will be good enough despite 1:1 recommendation from Head. Advice please?
Etienne

Re: Chance of success at appeal

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for your message. Huge sympathy for the extenuating circumstances. Is there any academic evidence that pre-dates them (e.g. level 3s at KS1)?
Etienne
buckschild

Post by buckschild »

Thanks for your reply. KS1 SATS - Reading 2a, Writing 2b, Maths 2a.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I feel sure the panel would really sympathise with the extenuating circumstances, and with strong school support it's worth seeing what they think of the case.

No one, of course, should go into an appeal feeling confident (not even with 120).

The headteacher recommendation looks very good, so long as the school's recommendations as a whole appear to the panel to be realistic.

Previous VR scores were showing a marked improvement. Panels can sometimes be influenced by "recent rapid progress," and I'm wondering whether the head can deploy this argument. Probably depends on current progress in English.

Just my thoughts. Hope they're of some help.
Etienne
buckschild

Post by buckschild »

Thanks Etienne. Sorry for late reply we have been busy compiling information and mounting what feels like a crusade. From reading various threads recall DCs most recent VR score being on 90th percentile, that's good isn't it and should be included? Have almost completed covering letter which due to extenuating circumstances now runs into 3 pages (so much to say, difficult to summarise in bullet point format). Should this be condensed and expanded upon later when submitting backup evidence which will take a week or so to obtain for extenuating circumstances? Really appreciate your/Sally-Anne's advice. Heartfelt thanks.
buckschild

Post by buckschild »

I have endeavoured to summarise our main points in my covering letter and have sent this through to the AB to maintain privacy due to extenuating circumstances. I am concerned that we have over emphasised the circumstances and not placed enough emphasis/explained the academic shortfall adequately. I would really appreciate your thoughts, thank you so much.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Buckschild
buckschild wrote:I am concerned that we have over emphasised the circumstances and not placed enough emphasis/explained the academic shortfall adequately.
In a word - yup! It is at least twice as long as it should be, if not more than that. It is very common for parents to do this for the first attempt - they feel the need to "get everything down on paper".

:: The majority of the events occurred quite some time before the 11+ and I think a panel will find it hard to relate them to one missing mark in the tests.

:: The last extenuating circumstance would be much better coming from the Head in his or her own words, and preferably with some comment as to how it may have affected his performance in the tests.

:: The extra curricular activities are really not relevant.

Please take a look at E11 (Letter for Mary)in the Appeals Q&A to give you some idea of how to get it back on track. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
buckschild

Post by buckschild »

Thank you Sally-Anne, I had a feeling I had gone off track. Will look at the thread you posted and try and adapt my letter accordingly. Back to the keyboard then, your prompt reply at least means I haven't lost too much time. Thanks for your help.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi buckschild

Please remember that all you have to submit with the appeal form is the HT summary sheet (if you have one). Everything else can follow later - up to 10 days before the appeal, and small amounts of evidence can be handed over on the day if it is absolutely necessary.

Take the time to get the letter right rather than putting in something you are not happy with, and mark the appeal form "Further evidence to follow". The timescales for the form are terribly tight, and with all the running around to get the Head's summary sheet it is nigh on impossible for parents to get it all done before the deadline, especially if they are still in shock at the results.

S-A
buckschild

Post by buckschild »

Thanks for that S-A. Am meeting with Head and DC's teacher tomorrow afternoon which I am hoping will strengthen academics and enable me to succinctly outline our appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now