Tiffin Girls School or Independent Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dragonbb2000

Tiffin Girls School or Independent Schools

Post by dragonbb2000 »

Could someone tell me which school is best of Tiffin Girls School, St Paul’s Girls School and LEH School? We are so frustrated to choose one for my DD. Thanks
Doblinski

Re: Tiffin Girls School or Independant Schools

Post by Doblinski »

Well having had to choose between Tiffin and another school ourselves, I'd Google both schools get the gen, read the prospectuses, visit the schools and get a feel for them - see what DD thinks after the visits - this is really important as she's got to be there, suss out the tutoring vibe for each school where are the tutors if you're going down that route, and obviously look into the entrance exam processes how many applied in previous years - what's involved, finally I'd work out journey times by running through both by public transport.

School choice is so personal, 20 people could tell you one school is vastly better, then you visit yourself and realise it's totally wrong for your child, or the journey's a nightmare and the school so over subscribed at exam time, that it's becomes much more an outside choice.

Sorry quite a list I'm afraid but worth doing the ground work especially if you've got a while to suss them out, when are you applying dragon?
la boume

Re: Tiffin Girls School or Independent Schools

Post by la boume »

Same question has been posted in Independent Schools section and caused a big discussion! Personally I would take Tiffin place as you can't re-apply until sixth form, then in case DC is unhappy/underachieving, there is always opportunity to sit 12+, 13+ etc in various Indies.

I think all schools have their flaws, I do not believe in perfect school in the perfect world.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

It's not exactly your choice to make, is it? If she gets in at Tiffin, it's free - you pay for the other two. All three are excellent academic schools. No one 'chooses' one or the other though - it is the schools which choose the child, and the ratio is something like one in twelve for Tiffin, one in six for St Paul's and one in three for LEH.

Why not apply to all three if your child is very clever? Is she Level 5 or more & in 'top group' for everything? If you're thinking of Tiffin, is she being intensively coached?

Finally, where do you live? That is relevant, too, or at least it is for poor so** like me who live around the corner & have to put up with the constant stream of yummy mummies in 4 WDs!
dragonbb2000

Post by dragonbb2000 »

thank you so much.

I have put the same topic in Independent Group because of no reply on previous day in the group.

please see the link to
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=17958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

dragonbb2000 wrote:Could someone tell me which school is best of Tiffin Girls School, St Paul’s Girls School and LEH School? We are so frustrated to choose one for my DD. Thanks
We applied to LEH, WHS and TGS and DD was fortunate enough to be offered a place at each including a scholarships at the independents.

In the end we took up a place at TGS and have no regrets; nor do I believe we would have had any issue with the others. I particularly liked the feel of WHS and the sixth form at LEH.

I know a few teachers at St. Paul's and know it to be a good school; well outside our price range so we never considered it.

None of these schools are easy to get into; make sure you have a backup plan.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

huntlie wrote:It's not exactly your choice to make, is it? If she gets in at Tiffin, it's free - you pay for the other two. All three are excellent academic schools. No one 'chooses' one or the other though - it is the schools which choose the child, and the ratio is something like one in twelve for Tiffin, one in six for St Paul's and one in three for LEH.

Why not apply to all three if your child is very clever? Is she Level 5 or more & in 'top group' for everything? If you're thinking of Tiffin, is she being intensively coached?

Finally, where do you live? That is relevant, too, or at least it is for poor so** like me who live around the corner & have to put up with the constant stream of yummy mummies in 4 WDs!
Huntlie - I think the OP was asking about the relative merits of the schools IF , theoretically, they had the choice - which they may well do. the child has already passed one exam and I think her parents are aware of the requirements in terms of preparation.

As for 4WD yummy mummies, yes I am a mummy, not necessarily yummy, but I admit I have been looking at 4WD today - can't stand the ice and snow of the Yorkshire Dales any longer.

Basically anyone who lives near a school (and we live very near 2 GSs) has to put up with a large number of buses (huge catchment area), 6th formers driving and parking :roll:, parents dropping off kids and causing even more havoc, jaywalking local kids ... but hey it doesn't last long and sanity returns by 0900.
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

huntlie wrote:It's not exactly your choice to make, is it? If she gets in at Tiffin, it's free - you pay for the other two.

You always make me smile - what you 'see' is what you get. I don't think others on this forum 'get you' :D
I read an earlier post by you today and that made me smile too but I had a feeling you would be 'moderated' :lol: 8)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I enjoy living near a school and seeing a constant stream of lively young people and small families passing by. Occasionally somebody blocks my drive-but who hasn't been in that situation some time themselves and people are always apologetic and move. It only lasts for a few minutes each day and we were well aware of the proximity of the schools when we moved here (and no my children don't go to them :D )