surrey 3 preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
middlesex

surrey 3 preferences

Post by middlesex »

Just an update for everyone. I have heard from surrey council regarding my official complaint and they have stated that since they have recieved a number of enquires? requesting more than 3 school preferences, they will be consulting on a proposal to increase the number of preferences to 6 for the sept 2012 entry as part as Surreys Annual Consultation on its Admissions Arrangements. The consultation Documents will be available to respond to from next week via http://www.surreycc.gov/ukadmissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well as by other means. There is a Surrey county Council meeting 6.30pm Monday 17th January 2011 Spelthorne council offices. I urge you all to not sit on the fence and surrey parents please comment via the website and or go to the meeting to get this injustice changed.iTell as many surrey parents as you can. Because next year my job will be done and 2012, doesnt apply to me. I will also write a letter to the committee of Surrey Council.
Plum

Re: surrey 3 preferences

Post by Plum »

Can I suggest that those that it effects, email their headteachers to put in school newsletters etc to get maximum exposure.

Good luck
Plum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've turned this thread into a temporary 'Announcement' - to give it a bit more prominence.
Etienne
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

Surrey have now published details of the consultation on their web site.

Please see http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/s ... endocument

The consultation includes a proposal for “An increase to the number of preferences from three to six, within Surrey's coordinated scheme for secondary admissions” the content of which seems quite fair and gives some hope that fair consideration may be given to the proposal. Details of the proposal are containing in an Annex at http://tinyurl.com/AnnexB the content of which seems quite fair and gives some hope that fair consideration may at least be given to the proposal.

I would urge all interested parents to register their comments to show the strength of feeling on this issue. Surrey’s online form to submit comments is available at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MJFYK7C

n.b. Update: I have just completed the survey and contrary to the information on the main consultation web page which states "...where you can register your comments", I was only able to select whether I agreed, disagreed or had no opinion on each of the proposals in the consultation.

Please pass this information on. Parents who have had issues in previous years may also wish to add their voice to the consultation.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

hi middlesex

wonderful efforts of you and others

congrats to all surrey parents and other benefited parents
Plum

Post by Plum »

Surrey CC have now sent out a notice to their schools asking them to let parents know about this.

Fingers crossed.

Px
WP

Post by WP »

In southwest Hertfordshire we have an essentially identical situation: neighbouring London boroughs and Buckinghamshire offer 6 preferences, but we have only 3. In response to long-standing complaints, last year the council offered to consider increasing the number of preferences to 4, 5 or 6, but then dropped the proposal at the pre-consultation stage because they could not predict the effect on the rest of the county. So you've already got further than we did. Here's hoping you get this accepted.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

I've done a quick google - the result of the consultation was meant to be announced 22nd March but I can't find anything - which probably means nothing has changed, but has anybody heard anything?

We are in a tricky location. DD will try for 3 GS in the Autumn, one predominantly as a a mock as we are out of catchment & she would need to be in the top 80 to get in. If we have only 3 options we are going to have to miss out one of the GS as to play safe we will have to include the local school for which we are well within catchment. However in the outside chance scenario I guess she could get into the top 80 of the one GS we are not going to put on the form, and hence potentially miss out on a place.
laretta

Post by laretta »

:D Good news!
I called Surrey today, they have confirmed there will be a change from three to six preferences and this should be updated on their website today. :D :D :D
middlesex

Post by middlesex »

EXCELLENT!!, IAM SO SO PLEASED THAT COMMOM SENSE HAS PREVAILED, AT LAST : :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now