Langley Grammar Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HarryM

Langley Grammar Results

Post by HarryM »

Sorry if this question has been repeated on another thread
Congrats to all the DC who passed and best hopes to those who got close. My DS got 120 in Bucks and we have had real pain re. Headmasters report, for a prospective appeal to Bucks. DS has just received consortium results and got 118NVR and 122VR (120 result). Is this enough to get his first choice to Langley in the first round??
I still don't understand if the pass mark is 111 and the cut off last year was 117? and 120? two years what this means. Some advice would be great especially as we have not sent the appeals form to Bucks as this was a second choice on the CAF forms and we are OOC for both areas ie. Bucks and Berkshire!

we put Langley 1, Bucks school 2, Herschel 3, Bucks school 4

DS would love to go to Langley, but is it still sensible to put in appeal to Bucks.. just in case?

As this is not enough we still have not received result for other twin from Langley!!!! the pain of it all.
stressedparent

Re: Langley Grammar Results

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Harry M,

2750 candidates sat the slough consortium this year, with a score of 120 standardised, your DS must be in the top 9% this equates to a approximately 247 rank on the consortium list. Herschel and Langley provide 265 places. With other candidates taking first choices at Tiffin and Kendrick you will definitely be allocated a place providing you have listed Langley and Herschel on your CAF.
stressedparent
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Wow! great i think. Thanks for the reply but how did you get your breakdowns, ie. 120Sm = top 9%
What's the difference between pass and cut off mark?
1. Langley
3. Herschell

is this a cert, good hope or possible? as DS would like to go Langley
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

.......Have a look at link below from Surrey forum , I have pasted a link for you to read. I hope it helps.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=17081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stressedparent
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

HarryM wrote:Wow! great i think. Thanks for the reply but how did you get your breakdowns, ie. 120Sm = top 9%
What's the difference between pass and cut off mark?
1. Langley
3. Herschell

is this a cert, good hope or possible? as DS would like to go Langley

... As for your second question, you could still pass but still miss the cut-off. Historical data from Langley shows that the cut-off has always been above the pass mark of 111. So if your DC passes with a score of 111, he or she will not get a place at Langley. Last year more than 500 passed the test at Langley but they only offered places to the top 145 on the ranking list. These are only assumption based on historical data.
stressedparent
RAIM67

Post by RAIM67 »

Congrats to all the kids who have passed - my son's average score was 116 - he got very nervous on the day and missed 8 questions out. I think he will remain on the waiting list for LG as i think they are offering places from 117 upwards. He worked really hard and I am so proud of him. Not sure how successful we will be on appeal? I will fight my hardest! any advice would be great. Thank you - Manjit
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

A score of 120av, with Langley as top of your list looks very good. As you say last year Langley went down to 117, so at 120
I'd say you stand an excellent chance based on historical data.

:D

BW
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Thanks, Bewildered, but as with all things i won't count my chickens untill I get the letters on the 1st saying my kids have got their place. By the way DD received letter from Langley today and she did us proud. Fingers crossed for all your DC's, their results and their hopeful places in GS.
By the way have any of you guys found all this hanging around worse then when you did exams. I feel like an exhausted desperate fool !!!
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Just another question, for you more knowledgeable lot.
Now that Herschell allocates 50% of it's places to in catchment and 50% to Rank order, will that not put more candidates in contention for the Langley places and push up further the Cut off mark. I can envisage the 117 cut off being moved to a higher 120-121 as more kids will be competing for the remainder Rank order Langley places. Or should i just go home and have several large Brandy's??
chad

Post by chad »

Several large brandys are def the order of the day.....
Until March there are a lot of 'what ifs'.......you may get some children living close to Herschel who have decided to put Herschel as first choice as it will be easier for them to achieve the cut off score!!!!!
some people will have done both Berks & Bucks and will choose a Bucks grammar over a Berks one even with a high berks score.... you just can't tell until March. :roll: