How do independent schools allocate spaces?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lefol

How do independent schools allocate spaces?

Post by lefol »

I am curious as to how indies allocate year 7 spaces,especially as some children apply for more than one school. For instances, a school has 75 spaces for year 7 and 200 take the exam, will the indie offer 80 places to make allowance for those who do not take places or would they offer more? Any experience of this process?
hermanmunster

Re: How do independent schools allocate spaces?

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect that some Indies would offer well over the 75 - poss up to 150! They can usually estimate from prev years as to how many will actually take up the place. Occasionally it goes haywire - there was a school (? surrey) that had to put on an extra form as so many they had offered to took up the place.

Many kids will get 2+ offers and can only take one - in Nottingham for example - quite a few get trent, Nottingham, Loughborough and poss Ratcliffe as well or convent.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

My DD school offers firm and reserve offers. The reserve offers kick in if not all the firm offers are taken up. The school works to a tight intake level
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

guest43 wrote:My DD school offers firm and reserve offers. The reserve offers kick in if not all the firm offers are taken up. The school works to a tight intake level
sounds a fair way of doing it, can reallyonly be done if not too many competing schools ... definitely better than the "waiting lists" that some schools run, where the number of offers given is so high that the children on the list are unlikely to get a chance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now