Absence due to illness

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WorriedRuby

Absence due to illness

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

My DS had to miss the school on Friday, and still got fever so won't be going on Monday. Just wondering how does your DC school help to make up / catch up with the missed lessons/homework.
Ed's mum

Re: Absence due to illness

Post by Ed's mum »

Both my children (year 7 and 9) just have to rely upon a friend to make notes/collect handouts etc so that they can catch up the next night. This results in double the amount of prep the next day (6 instead of 3). This really does ensure that a child doesn't try to take a sickie...just not worth it as it's sooo hard to catch up! No idea what would happen if they were away for a more protracted period.
I hope your son feels fighting-fit soon.
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS says he copies up from a friend if he has missed anything. Strangely, though, each time he has a day off the rest of the class do "nothing" and I don't think he has ever borrowed someones book :roll: . He usually waits until he is chased for homework before telling the teacher he missed the lesson. For prolonged illnesses the form tutor (if asked) will ask subject teachers to set work that can be completed at home.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. DS has gone to school today, hope I don't get any call from school! I do hope he asks around for the missed lessons/homework! One of his best friend was ill for the whole week, so he will have to ask some other friend.

On the other hand it is nearly Christmas, so wonder will there be any homework?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

dd has already started to receive HW which needs to be completed over the xmas holidays! Her school did snowwork too, if you missed any it had to be completed once back at school! No rest here then :lol: