priory school birmingham

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hifinut

priory school birmingham

Post by hifinut »

does anyone have any views on the priory in edgbaston, although their results are not in the same league as kes they have a good reputation. do you think it is worth sending there rather than a good up and coming comp of which there are quite a few in brum?

Priory School

Post by Guest »

No personal experience, but I have heard it well spoken of pastorally and the children are said to be nice and friendly. It is not remotely in the same league as KES and KEHS, but doesn't pretend to be and caters for a different group of children. Are there really some good up and coming comps in Birmingham?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Perhaps it's Birmingham, Alabama? :lol:
hifinutt

Post by hifinutt »

well ninestiles is getting quite a reputation for excellence!! I have just been looking at what pupils do now on friends reunited, absolutely fascinating. to see how children have developed from both priory and comprehensive.
If the child is happy and not under excessive pressure then priory sounds good. I sat with them on the bus and they were very impressive, I didn`t hear one swear word !!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hifinutt
I sat with them on the bus and they were very impressive, I didn`t hear one swear word !!!
I believe that you have struck upon a technique for evaluating schools that is worth a thousand OFSTED reports. The mark of a good school truly is how the children behave on the bus on the way home.

So simple, and so obvious - why didn't I think of it!

Sally-Anne
solimum

The bus test

Post by solimum »

Wouldn't help at my daughter's school - the vast majority of the pupils walk (or beg their mums for a lift from the junior school half way) - I don't think many live far enough away for a bus. The tide of green blazers along the pavement is a spectacular sight!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Follow the crowd Solimum! Eavesdrop like mad!

Good to hear that there are still children who walk to school though. A rare sight in leafy Bucks!
solimum

Walking to school

Post by solimum »

Yes we are fortunate here. Walking to and from school is an important social part of the day, as well as good exercise! We live about 2 miles away from the school, which is about the furthest extremity of the catchment . There is a combination of feeder primaries and catchment areas now after the LEA was caught out by the bulge in the school population a few years ago: they had to admit an extra class in my son's year (current Yr 12) as there were so many living in the catchment who applied: the following year they tried to introduce a distance criterion within the catchment amidst howls of protest from my neighbours who had always assumed their children would attend the local secondary school. They finally had to admit the half-a-dozen who appealed and introduced "priority to feeder primaries if there's over-subscription within the catchment" the following year.

Post by Guest »

Sally Anne

Swanshurst, Selly Park Girls, Kings Norton Girls, Kings Norton Boys, Ninestiles - yes there are a lot of good comprehensives in Birmingham. Don't get into the "let's all say the comprehensives are useless" - they aren't actually. These are only the ones I know of in a certain area - I am sure that there are good ones in North Birmingham too.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lucky you guest - grammars and some good comps! All we have are grammars, a very few good upper schools and the rest ..... :roll: