Is this okay?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Is this okay?

Post by Midget Man »

I have known for many years what levels were expected of them throughout KS1 and KS2 but I have no idea for KS3 :oops: We had our Midget's termly report yesterday and all it stated was 'attitude to learning' and 'homework effort' :?

There is alway's that doubt of "Have I done the right thing putting him in to grammar?" and just want to know he is doing okay at this stage. I don't for one minute expect he'd be top dog, but I would like a rough idea of whether or not he seem's to be coping so far and wondered if any English teachers could help.
He recently got a 5a for a written piece and a 6b for a speaking and listening assessment. Now if I was going on the KS2 levels I would say this is okay, but I understand that the KS3 levels can be different?
Midget Man

Re: Is this okay?

Post by Midget Man »

Perhap's a sticky at the top to suggest what the expected levels are throughout secondary as a guidance? :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/performance ... 6/k5.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Sch ... DG_4016665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

remember these are expected levels across the whole of KS3, pupils ata grammar school would be expected to be above "average"
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thank you very much Yoyo, much appreciated :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Midget Man wrote:He recently got a 5a for a written piece and a 6b for a speaking and listening assessment. Now if I was going on the KS2 levels I would say this is okay, but I understand that the KS3 levels can be different?
Hi MM
I was wondering the same thing a while ago. We have had an effort type report and dd did very well but will not get the levels and targets report till mid jan.
My dd has had very mixed assessment levels in english. She excelled in a creative writing task and got a level 7. However in analysis writing, where they analyse a book or report she only got a 4a/5c. For a presentation task which involved speaking and listening and keep audiance interested etc she scored in the middle with a 6b.

So how they will find a general level from that lot i dont know ! :)
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

We just got DS's year 7 assessment and were entirely at a loss(and somewhat concerned) as to what they meant until we searched the internet. Surely schools must recognise that results without a means of comparison are meaningless?
Thanks Yoyo, this link puts it far more succinctly than anything I'd found so far.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
moved

Post by moved »

DD now year 8 at SS GS was given low 5s in the first term for English. Some of her friends had low 4s. There were lots of tears, but we came to the conclusion that it was marked with SS GS levelling, rather than the standard national levelling. At the end of the year she was top with an essay and awarded a level 7. New English teacher in year 8 and we are back to 6b! Mostly you just seem to get the results of an individual test and any written piece is always subjective.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now